Buffalo Chicken Dip by Octavius Collins

Buffalo Chicken Dip

I’ve been eating this dish since grade school and my mother would make it for the other parents on the track team, during the track meets, so it kind of brought back a memory. Since I got the recipe from my mother, and she normally doesn’t measure when she cooks, the serving sizes aren’t accurate. So I decided to use another recipe that I found online that provided the nutritional facts needed. The dip itself is healthy before a serving or 2. Based on the way that I eat, and the amount of serving sizes I eat at a time is what isn’t healthy about the dip.

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size 1 serving (30 g)

Per Serving

% Daily Value*

Calories 50

Calories from Fat 27

Total Fat 3.0g

5%

Saturated Fat 2.0g

10%

Cholesterol 15mg

5%

Sodium 360mg

15%

Carbohydrates 2.0g

1%

Sugars 1.0g

Protein 3.0g

Vitamin A 4% ·

Calcium 6% ·

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-schwans-buffalo-chicken-dip-i142058

(Talk about how you had to use a slightly different recipe for the nutritional facts + CITE)

Environmental: 

-The meal is mainly all processed. The main processed ingredients would be the half of a pound of Tyson chicken breast that I used. The celery wasn’t organic either, so I would imagine that it was processed as well because chemicals were most likely added to help it grow.

Political/economic: 

- All together this meal is approximately $8 but can feed 8-10 people, at least. The prices can fluctuate based on the brand of product that you choose to use. This can build controversy amongst some vegan, and vegetarians dieters because of the chicken I used in the dip. Celery, I imagine, is perfect find in any family’s food group.

Social 

-The chicken from the product was produced and process at Tyson Farm Food Incorporation. The chickens aren’t treated as well as they should be. 

(I used my mother’s recipe that she made up herself, so know serving sizes and amounts aren’t as accurate as it could be, but I found some sources that can be of assistances, and that are similar to the dish I prepared.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/buffalo-chicken-dip/

Ingredients: Recipe: 1 cups of chopped celery, 1/2 cup of blue cheese 1/2 cup of buffalo sauce, 1/2 lbs of chicken breast.

Heat the oven to approximately 350 degrees fahrenheit.  Cook, and chop the chicken breast, and spread the around in the baking bowl. Add/ pour the celery following, then pour in the blue cheese dressing, and buffalo sauce. Stir, and mix until chicken is an orange color then place into the oven and let the food bake for 20minutes. Monitor it may or may not take that long.

I choose to cook this dish because it’s not a big, but it’s one of my favorite appetizers to eat around family and friends. It’s not really symbolic not does it really have a history behind it besides the fact that my family has the same craving for it when the holidays come around as we impatiently wait for the food to finish being prepared.

I learned a lot this unit. I learned that most of our food problems are because of the government, and the way that they process, and domesticate their animals is a lot different onto our liking. We only knew what they decided to tell us, so after watching that movie about how some meat companies handle their food my views on meat have changed. I'm not sure what my role in the normal food system role is, but I do feel like our largest problem is that we don't sometimes know what we're eating. If I could, I'd choose to stop putting steroids in chickens in other meat. Making a change, I wouldn't stop eating meat today because it's been in my diet my whole life, and I need meat in my diet.