Byshera Moore-Williams Capstone

My mentors were Mr.Block and Shavon Norris. I chose them because they both helped me with my first play. My capstone is a play but in book form. For the whole year I wrote a play. Every four to five scenes I would have a phone conference with Shavon and we would go over what edits were needed. I did this until the end of last month. Then I start working on my website. The process was long  but well worth it. I have learned that writing something that has a set timeline really does take a lot of the enjoyment out of writing for me. However I am happy with what I have and  I would not change what I did.
​My capstone is here. As a writer I don't want to risk my work being stolen or used with out my knowledge. 
 Bibliography ​

"English Tongue Twisters." Übersetzung. N.p., n.d. Web. 28 Jan. 2014.

One of my characters, Sam, has a stutter. This site is filled with tongue twisters. I use them in the pay so that he can practice saying complicated sentences over and over again. So this site is really for character development.

"Types of Stuttering." - Speech Language Disorders. University of Rochester, 19 Oct. 2010. Web. 28 Jan. 2014.

One of my characters, Sam, has a stutter. There are many different kinds and reasons for someone to have them. I wanted to make sure that the one that picked and the way that I wanted to faze it out was correct. So that is my I used this site.

"Alzheimer's Disease Fact Sheet." Alzheimer's Disease Fact Sheet. National Institute on Aging, Sept. 2012. Web. 28 Jan. 2014.

Lidy, Sam’s mom, gets alzheimer's. I wanted to make sure that I represent it correctly in my play. Because of this I researched how it happens and what it looks like in people. I wanted everything for feel very real.

"Philadelphia Young Playwrights." Philadelphia Young Playwrights. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Jan. 2014.

I worked with Philly Young Playwrights. I wrote a play sophomore year and worked on it off and on for two years. I had my play produced and got to work to actors and my now mentor Shavon. This is the reason that I am continuing with writing plays and why I picked my capstone.

Shange, Ntozake. For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide, When the Rainbow Is Enuf: A Choreopoem. New York: Scribner Poetry, 1997. Print.

This is a play that has both been made and produced and was written into a book. This is a great example of what I am doing. Because I am writing it into a book but also putting it into a live play. It is also a great example of a play that focus on few characters.  

Myers, Walter Dean. Monster. Comp. Christopher Myers. New York, NY: HarperCollins, 2004. Print.

This is a play that has both been made and produced and was written into a book. This is a great example of what I am doing. Because I am writing it into a book but also putting it into a live play. It is also a great example of a play that focus on one character and it has a lot of things happen both around and to him.  

Interview with Mindy Early, Philadelphia Young Playwrights, Philadelphia, PA. 29 Jan. 2014.

Mindy is my contact at philadelphia young playwrights that is helping get a space so that I can hold the play in a space for a small number of people. She is a source because I have to be in contact with her for the next few months. She also helped me with my first play as far are casting and space.

Carnoy, David. "Self-publishing a Book: 25 Things You Need to Know." Fully Equipped. CNet, 13 June 2012. Web. 30 Jan. 2014.

Dorf, Jonathan. "Playwriting 101." How to Write a Play. Playwriting 101, 2014. Web. 31 Jan. 2014.

This is a website written by a playwright and screenwriter. It gives you different elements that you need for a play or screenplay. I used this because I wanted something that would explain the things that I learn in tenth grade. Mr.Block want over a lot of those things and the site does a good job of organizing and explaining the same things.

"NORML.org - Working to Reform Marijuana Laws." FEDERAL Laws & Penalties. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Jan. 2014.

My main character gets arrested with drugs. Because of this I wanted to look up how long he should be in jail for a first time offences. Again something that I wanted to make the play as real as possible. It is a good site because it breaks everything down in graphs so that you know what happens for first offenders and so on.