Callie Monroe Marking Period One

Artist Statement

This art project was part of the course I am taking in art. Me and my classmates each had to create something out of recycled material, material that could be recycled, or trash. My goal in this project was to create something beautiful out of things that are usually regarded as ugly. 

I decided to make jewelry because I am very interested in fashion and design. I think that much of what you wear resembles your personality and/or the mood that you are feeling that day. In my personal style I like to fuse girly and preppy with things that are more edgier and hard. This jewelry represents both aspects of my style. My grandfather was an engineer and still likes to build things around the house. He has a garage full of old bolts and other odds and ends. I aimed to use his old building materials to create something creative and wearable. The only item that I bought was gorilla glue. 

The first piece I created used nails and metal circles. I used the glue to connect the nails to the metal part, and used old fishing wire as a chain. The second piece I created used an old fish hook that I connected to my dogs old vaccination tag. 

Poster
I created a bottle cap poster in order to get peoples attention so that they would bring in bottle caps for my classes project. Each student had to do a poster, and they were hung up around the school. 
Screen shot 2010-11-04 at 12.28.10 PM
Screen shot 2010-11-04 at 12.28.10 PM
Screen shot 2010-11-08 at 9.15.50 AM
Screen shot 2010-11-08 at 9.15.50 AM
Screen shot 2010-11-08 at 9.16.10 AM
Screen shot 2010-11-08 at 9.16.10 AM