Charles Norman Dayona McNeil PSSA Project Ecosystems.

Ecosystems
What Is A Ecosystem?
A ecosystem is a biological community of interacting organisms and their physical environment.

What Kinds Of Ecosystems are there?

There are three types of major ecosystems:
1. Freshwater Ecosystems
2. Ocean Ecosystems
3. Terrestrial Ecosystems

What do ecosystems consist of?

An ecosystem consists of the biological and physical environment of an area. The biological environment is made up of all living organisms in the area. The physical environment includes the air, the earth, water, and the weather. All these biological and physical factors interact within the ecosystem. They compose a network of complex relationships that control population growth. Each plant and animal species has a role or way of life within the ecosystem. This is called its niche.

Tundra - The climate is extremely cold, dry, and the subsoil is permanently frozen. Plants these include lichens, low shrubs, and sedges. Some of the animals there are the Arctic fox, lemmings, polar bear, caribou, wolves, and many migratory birds.

Boreal Forest - The climate has cold winters, and a short growing season. Coniferous evergreen trees, chiefly balsam fir, black spruce, jack pine, and white spruce are plants you would find there. Animals include bears, wolves, moose, ducks, and loons.

Temperate Coniferous Forest - Has cool, middle and upper mountain slopes, coastal areas with mild winters and heavy rainfall. Coniferous evergreen trees, including cedar, hemlock, pine, and redwood are among the plant life. Bears, elk, mountain lions, and wolves are animals in the region.

Temperate Deciduous Forest - Cold winters, warm summers, moist. Broadleaf deciduous trees such as elm, maple, and oak. Animals there are deer, raccoons, squirrels, and many kinds of small birds.

Chaparral - Climate includes rain, mild winters, hot and dry summers, fires are common in this area. Plant life includes low shrubs with small and hard leaves. Coyotes, mule deer, and many species of lizards are animals in the region.

Desert - Extremely dry. Cati and other fleshy plants, sparse grasses, and small-leaved shrubs. This region also has lizards, snakes, many small rodents.

Grassland - Temperate, subhumid. Grasses and other herbaceous plants.
Antelope, pronghorn bison, buffaloes, wolves, and coyotes live in the area.

Savanna - Long dry season. Grasses and scattered clumps of trees. Giraffes, zebras, jackals, and lions live in the region.

Tropical RainForest - Warm and wet all year. Broadleaf evergreen trees, some palms and tree ferns, and climbing vines. Animals include bats, colorful birds, lizards, monkeys, and snakes.

PSSA EXAMPLE QUESTIONS

1. How many different major types of ecosystems are there? What are the major ecosystems?

2. What do ecosystems consist of?

3. What is the climate like in a tropical rain forrest?

4. What does the Savanna ecosystem consist of?

5. What is a ecosystem?
Screen Shot 2012-06-05 at 9.47.54 AM
Screen Shot 2012-06-05 at 9.47.54 AM