Climate Change Monologue Project

In our world history unit we were learning about the issue of climate changes. We read articles and watch videos about climate change and how we are directly connected and how we are a major reason. In these monologues I have written 3 different perspectives on climate changes. All of the characters that I have created in these monologue each live in different places of the world and thus different perspectives on climate changes.

`Takai

*talking to the other members in the shelter*

I still can’t forget what happened that day. I was so close to it. I was sitting down

just watching and listening to the sounds of the city(village) and then a huge wall of water was coming at me prepared to swallow me whole. I ran for my life and just kept running and running until I couldn’t run anymore then I felt someone pick me up and took me to safety from the wave. Once everything subsided me and everyone else who survived walk out of hiding to see the destruction that was caused. everything was leveled. I heard people calling for loved ones even though they may never get an answer. families destroyed and having no place to sleep. And oddly...I was happy. deep inside of me now everyone felt what I felt. They all now are homeless too. Now people will pass them by and feel pity for them.I’m sick to my stomach for feeling this way but deep down I’m happy. Days later the people came as you all know and they seemed so helpful and were here to the rescue

and  showing it through those big boxes that those men carried around that they were talking into... a camera I think. Things were looking up for us but that soon passed. I overheard grownups getting angry that yeah we made steps forward but we still are stuck in shelters and still had debris on the streets. everyday I kept listening to the conversations of the grown people and learned so much about our problem. The wave was called a typhoon and the reason for it wasn’t even our fault. I was confused how  this happen and not be our fault. I see youre confused too but  those same people that were here to rescue us were actually the problem in the first place.

Andrew

*talking to the board after getting fired from his job for speaking out against them*

I would like to start off with thank you for allowing me to speak to all of you today and secondly, you are all stupid cooperate jerks. sorry sorry dont kick me out(pauses)yet at least let me finish. This here plant in limerick needs to shut down. yeah gasp and be shocked as much as you want but its true. This plant is causing more problem than it’s worth. for crying out loud you cant even drive by this place without the radio in your car going fuzzy because of all the radiation, not to mention this is a outlet mall full of people outside right across the street. let me calm down. this plant cares nothing for peoples safety and i'm not talking about the workers no i’m talking about the people outside of this company.(sighs)I have a daughter you know. she’s turning 8 tomorrow. one day she came home from school one day after the events in the philippines and said to me “daddy what caused all of that”. This may sound like an easy question to answer but I only saw past the easy answer of saying the typhoon. I had to tell my daughter that people where we live caused it. that our carelessness with our pollutants and radiation caused so many people to die and many more to become homeless. All she did was look at me and walk away. Have any of you had that feeling.The feeling that you just had your entire world destroyed.The feeling of having your own daughter ashamed of you.The feeling of guilt for your actions(pauses) probably not. Anyway back to my daughters birthday do you know what she wanted for her birthday, to send a care package to a child in the philippines. Yeah. I already set everything up and the red cross told me that a boy named takai was going to receive this package and that my daughter is a saint. funny isnt it. My daughter has done more than you and you people on the board will ever do. so while you sit upon your thrones and not care about your actions I want to remember that. And lastly I am not sorry about speaking out against this company for I am only sorry that any bit of humanity has left your hearts. Thank you for listening and dont worry I saw you press the button for security so I’ll leave and dont worry about firing me because I quit.(exits the room).

Glacier

*Glacier speaking to polar bears about what's happening to the climate*

I have been around a long time. I have seen a lot throughout my years being a part of this earth...well mainly ice and water but you know what I mean.I can feel myself dying.Let me rephrase that not dying just feeling the natural order of life and changing into a different form of matter.Which wouldn’t be so bad If it wasn’t happening so soon. My children I have helped you and your generations to ever be and to ever come but I fear that I will not be around long enough to help any longer, In fact I may become the reason for your demise. I’m sorry that it has to turn out this way but I feel as though this change is inevitable. I hear my brother and sister elements cry out in pain as well. the air coughs as it’s lungs are filled with smog and radiation and the sea cries out in agony as it becomes polluted but worst of all is grandmother earth herself. Everyday she heats up and boils as the sun’s rays get trapped.This why I’m melting and I am not the only one that feels the pressure of these climate changes. sadly I fear that you will feel it too for as I melt I become one with the sea and then the sea will rise and soon try to devour you. I am so very sorry. If you wonder who could have done this it is those beings that walk upright. They know of what they are doing and yet still choose to poison their own climate. They know that their actions have caused trouble for their own kind as they ravished their own with the wrath of a typhoon And yet still continue. Do not mourn over me or resent the ones who brought this nightmare to reality I just want you to make them realized their mistakes and show them that this is their climates as well every action that they make regarding it will affect them in the future whether it be immediate or gradually but let them know this it is their climate to change be it for the better or the worse.