Cluelessly Tamed In The Name of Reputation

A paper on the book “Taming of The Shrew” and movie “Clueless”.

Both the book “Taming of The Shrew” and movie “Clueless” show how relationships are used to represent power in specific societies. Katherine, the evil sister in “Taming of The Shrew”, was pressured to get married as soon as possible. She was viewed as overdue for marriage by traditional standards. Cher, the rich main character of Clueless, found it necessary to find a suitor of a respectable stature in order to not ruin her reputation. She later in the film influenced a new member of her society to do the same to save her from embarrassment. In the end, both Katherine and Cher found that engaging in romantic bonds for status did not leave them with a compatible partner. While Cher refuted her status relationships and found a mate more ideal, although not socially acceptable, Katherine was entwined by marriage. She had no choice but to compromise her feelings in order to conform to her society’s regulations. Engaging in romantic relationships with the purpose to maintain or gain power can leave one unsatisfied with their partner.

While Cher was being driven home from a party by her friend Elton, he began to come on to her. Cher found this disappointing and confusing since she had been making efforts to be matchmaker for Tai, the new girl in town, and Elton. Elton appeared to have responded well to these attempts, asking for the pictures of Tai that Cher had taken and helping to revive Tai when she passed out. But when Cher stated her assumption of his connection to her, Elton replied by saying that Cher and he made more sense together than he did with Tai. Finishing off his rant, he said, “Do you even know who my father is?!” He asks this rhetorical question because Cher knows his father is a famous producer. Cher tells him he is a snob for saying that he could not be with the new girl because he was wealthier than her.

Screen Shot 2013-12-06 at 10.31.04 AM
Screen Shot 2013-12-06 at 10.31.04 AM

“Thus, in plain terms: your father hath consented

That you shall be my wife, your dowry agreed on,

And, will you, nill you, I will marry you.

Act 2, Scene 1, Lines 284-286

On page 83 of Taming of The Shrew, Petruchio makes the point that his wealth is prominent and asks what he can be assured if he marries Katherine. He is promised half of her father’s land and twenty thousand crowns once he is deceased. Petruchio says that for Katherine’s hand in marriage, she will receive all his lands and leases if her death succeeds his. Material possession played a role in the ability to create a romantic connection with someone. Later on when talking to Katherine, Petruchio informs her that she is indicted to marry him, whether she likes it or not. Hundreds of years ago, there was less choice and more force relating romantic connections compared to just a few decades ago.  

Cher fell for a preppy exchange student, Christian. He asked to go a party with her and she agreed. When Christian comes to pick up Cher at her house, he meets her father. The protective man asks “Do you drink?” and Christian responds by saying “No thanks.” Cher’s father became annoyed because he did not like his sarcasm relating to her daughter’s safety while in a vehicle. He answers by saying “What’s wrong with you, kid? You think the death of Sammy Davis left an opening in the Rat Pack?” Cher’s dad did not care about the boy’s wealth, but rather his daughter’s safety.

“Call you me daughter? Now I promise you

You have showed a tender fatherly regard,

to wish me to one half lunatic, A madcap rufflian and a swearing Jack,

that thinks it oaths to face the matter out.”

Act 2, Scene 1, Lines 302-306

Compared to Cher’s father’s cautiousness, Katherine’s father seemed quite careless about his daughter’s well-being. After being told that she must marry the crazed Petruchio, Katharina expresses her disdain for her father’s choice of a husband. She felt Baptista betrayed her simply for a promised dowry.

As Cher began to take a stronger liking to Christian, she became tamed to his ambiguous behavior. The night that he came to watch movies at her house, Cher offered to make him coffee still he was tired. He replied by saying “Can’t, I got the ulcer.” But Cher questioned this statement by reminding he had cappuccinos in her presence in the past. He said “Oh, well, you know, that was like, foam…” Even though it was an absurd rebuttal, she did not dispute it.

“Forward, I pray, since we have come so far,

And be it the moon, or sun, or what you please.”

Act 4, Scene 5, Lines 14-15

As a tactic to tame his shrew, Petruchio made an attempt to convince Katherine that it was night when it was indisputably day. They bickered back and forth until Katharina finally accepted his inaccurate plea. She disregarded her own sense in order to please her husband. Cher did the same when faced with an illogic statement from Christian.

“Taming of The Shrew” exemplified the necessity of conformity to social hierarchies in ancient times. Marriage continues to be an avowal of one’s devotion to another person. However, there is more freedom when deciding who with which one will a commitment. In "Clueless",Cher chose her suitor freely, even if her father did not approve. Katharina was required to have consent from her father before becoming married. Both women had material wealth play a part with whom they were dedicated. This, in turn, forced them to make emotional compromises. When a relationship is built on status or possession, romantic satisfaction may be jeopardized.

Clueless. Dir. Amy Heckerling. Perf. Alicia Silverstone. Paramount Pictures, 1995.

Shakespeare, William, and Thomas Goddard Bergin. The Taming of the Shrew. New Haven: Yale UP, 1954. Print.