Co-Direction & Stage Management - SLA Play

​Aaron V. Johnson

Mentor: Mr. Mark Miles

Summary: 

For my senior capstone I co-directed and managed the stage design for a play written by Julia Boyer.

Abstract: 

My role comprised of rehearsing with Julia and the cast of the play, blacking out the windows in the drama studio, moving the stages from the school cafeteria to the third floor drama studio, hanging up curtains, and managing the stage lighting. My responsibilities differed from Julia’s as I worked behind the scenes while she managed the actors and the props. Originally, Julia and I planned to sell tickets to the play, titled Office 309, but in the end chose to make the three performances free to the SLA community during two Friday lunch periods and one final performance after school on the same day.

Annotated Bibliography:

"How To Direct a Play." Squidoo. Home Entertainment and Theater, 2010. Web. 1 Feb 2012

This website gives helpful insight on how to direct one’s first play. Helpful ideas include finding the cast as soon as possible, hiring a crew of at least three people, depending on how large the set is, and creating a production concept. The most important piece of information I received from this website is the importance of a production concept. To do so, the director or writer needs to think of a piece of artwork or writing piece that ties to the core of the entire play and explain it to the cast and crew. This artwork or writing piece should make everyone understand the ideas behind the play and what types of feelings to create during the production.

"Martenson Edward." Theater Management. Yale School of Drama, 2010. Web.

This website incorporates the idea of audience involvement with the characters’ points of view. It gives the example of giving a brief survey to the audience in advance, before completion of the writing of the play so the writing is relatable and draws people in.

Chaikelson, Steven. "Theater Management and Production Concentration." . Columbia University: School of the Arts , 24 September 2010. Web.

This website talks about process goals needed during the production of a musical or play. A key concept that is mentioned several times in the document is the importance of collaboration. The writers explain that collaboration is important because directing a play takes an ample amount of time and the work should be split in half to avoid stress. Also, more than one opinion tends to be helpful when working on a play or musical because theoretically “Two heads work better than one.”

Brookes, Fran. "The Production Manager." Theater Education. Education Theater Association, 27 December 2009. Web

The article, “The Production Manager” is a detailed step by step process on everything from set crews, characters, to guidelines for directors and writers of play productions. The article also tells the story of two people who work together to make scripts and produce them in front of a live audience. One of the writers also works as the manager while the second doubles as the stage manager. Together they have created an amazing duo that produces up to six plays a year. The two are interviewed by Fran Brookes where they talk about their strengths and weaknesses while working together.

"Behind The Scenes: Production Management." . Shakespeare Production Management, January 2012. Web.

This source is a brief explanation and step by step guide book on how to produce the greatest theater production possible. The first step is to hire and work with people you trust and can rely on. The second step is to find a space that is cost effective and that will also gain valuable customers and audience members. The third and final step is to create something concrete that you are proud of and want to share with the world.