Corn, corn, corn, everywhere, literally

This project is based on current events happening everyday, that, most people don't know about. Especially teens. My topic is corn production and usage. This situation is intriguing, yet eye opening because we Americans eat it all the time. 

There's almost no way to avoid it. Corn is the number one produced crop in America due to it's demand in many products. The average American doesn't realize how much corn they eat in a day. So much corn is produced in the U.S., there's a name for it's locations. The "Corn Belt." This "belt" includes the states Iowa, Illinois, Nebraska, Minnesota, Indiana, Ohio, Wisconsin, South Dakota, Michigan, Missouri, Kansas, and Kentucky. Although the states, together, don't look like a "belt", it's one third of the country that produces a major crop. If scientists were to do DNA tests on the amount of corn an average American eats, verses a Mexican, they'd think that Americans eat nothing but corn. A major reason it's widely used it's because it's cheap. It's a companies "alternative" to the "real stuff."

An example would be the sweetness in Pepsi. Back in the 70's, they used real sugar to sweeten the tasty drink. Now, the second most used ingredient is "high fructose corn syrup." I wonder how many people know this. Corn, the vegetable that one has hated as a child, is in the drinks they consume everyday. 

What's next? All the products that contain this small yellow kern.

Resources:
Screen shot 2011-05-02 at 2.50.18 PM
Screen shot 2011-05-02 at 2.50.18 PM