Dakota Foster's Negative Space

Negative space is the space in a picture that isn't taken up with drawings or figures. Also, negative space could be the background of the picture. For example, if you draw a house in the middle of a paper, but then you color the space around the house. That is classified as negative space because that part is not occupied by anything. 
You can find negative space in my cut out drawing of the bird by looking at the black parts. The black parts are the negative space in the drawing. This space is empty because there wasn't a bird there before, but with the positive space around the negative space, you can see the bird and it's wings. Now for my second drawing, even though it isn't complete. You are able to find the negative space vs. the positive space. As the same for this drawing, the black or shaded in parts is classified as negative space. The non-shaded part which is the objects in the pictures are the positive space. The negative space isn't occupied and the positive space because it is the figures in the picture. 

It helps for an artist to see the negative space because the artist can focus on outlining the figures in the picture instead of getting ever detail. Once the artist can outline the figures in the picture then, the artist knows the basic shape of the figures in the picture. So, the artist can focus on drawing the positive space of the drawing last. Another reason, it helps for the an artist to see the negative space because it makes for an interesting piece of artwork. If the artist draws the negative space, then the audience can wonder what is in the positive space. 
In my opinion, I do think negative space enhances drawings because it make them look more interesting. Also, the artist can focus more on the details and take their time so, the picture is more likable. 
Photo on 2011-04-26 at 12.58
Photo on 2011-04-26 at 12.58
Photo on 2011-04-26 at 12.59
Photo on 2011-04-26 at 12.59