Damian Santiago, Food Justice in Wissinoming

My project aimed to investigate the impact of food deserts on community health outcomes and explore the environmental effects of industrial agriculture, driven by a commitment to social equality and sustainable living. A lot of research was conducted to understand the root causes and effects of food deserts in Wissinoming, utilizing academic papers, reports, and community-led projects. Collaboration with various stakeholders, including community members, groups, and authorities in the field of food justice, enriched the research process by providing invaluable first-hand knowledge and diverse perspectives. A pamphlet was created to educate individuals about food justice concerns, with the aim of empowering them to make informed decisions for themselves and their families. The infographic was intended to be included in the WIC packets of the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program. The process involved initial inspiration from a conversation with the mentor about Wissinoming's food desert challenge, followed by extensive research in scholarly articles, reliable websites, and relevant statistics. Despite encountering challenges in organizing a farmers market and collaborating with the WIC program, alternative solutions were found, leading to a partnership with a local church and their food pantry program. The reflection on the project highlights the achievement of raising awareness and addressing food justice issues in the community. Creating an impactful pamphlet and witnessing its positive reception among food pantry users was a rewarding experience. The project demonstrated adaptability in overcoming obstacles and showcased the ability to find innovative ways to achieve goals.

Screenshot 2023-05-22 10.49.48 PM
Screenshot 2023-05-22 10.49.48 PM
Screenshot 2023-05-22 10.50.24 PM
Screenshot 2023-05-22 10.50.24 PM

Annotated Bibliography: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Y2FI40fU7Y6Cf6vrT20R57E9ziknftTvIjzl3893iLc/edit?usp=sharing