Daniel Medlock Capstone

Secure the Wastes

For my capstone project, I created my own tabletop roleplaying game (TTRPG) called Secure the Wastes. This was a primarily creative project, so after doing my initial research into how to make a TTRPG, the bulk of the process was thinking of fun and interesting game mechanics and balancing said mechanics. For anyone who doesn’t know, a TTRPG is a game in which most of the players take on the role of characters in a fictional world and play through a story set up by another player, the game master. The game works on a 2d6 system, meaning that whenever you want to accomplish a difficult task, you have to roll two six-sided dice and use the result to see how successful you were. A lot of the time spent on this project involved playing the game with friends and refining the existing mechanics after seeing what worked and what didn’t, so a huge thanks to everyone who helped with reading over the rules and playing the game. I’m extremely happy with how the game turned out, especially the combat system, which I consider to be the most interesting and creatively made part of the game. I learned a lot during this project, mostly concerning what makes fun and balanced game mechanics, but also things relating to statistics and document editing. Overall making this project was fun experienced which I really enjoyed, and I hope people enjoy my game!

The game rules can be found here.

And the Bibliography here.

Cover Page (Thank you for the art Ben!)
Cover Page (Thank you for the art Ben!)
A snippet of the combat rules
A snippet of the combat rules
Part of one of the Playbooks
Part of one of the Playbooks