Day in the Life of a Marshallese 12-Year-Old

​Here is my project

When I was 12, my day from 7:00am-2:00am was about the same. The only difference was that I was taking SEPTA to school rather than walking. When I came home, I didn't have to pick coconuts or go sell fishes I had just caught, I would just have to clean my room, and maybe sweep the house. However, when I turned 13, I started helping my father with his business a couple times per week. I stopped attending church when I was about ten, and those are the main differences in our day to day lives.

I expected most of the poverty I saw while I was researching because most indigenous people are on the lower end of their new societies. I didn't expect the boys and girls to have equal schooling opportunities from first grade to high-school. The poor children usually don't make it to high-school, but there is no real difference between boys and girls.

There are no real opportunities for indigenous children of the Marshall Islands. In order for a child's education to continue past eighth grade, they need to pay for school. The indigenous population usually can't afford to send their children to high-school, so they stay at home and their lives turn into whatever their mother/fathers life is. Eventually the male will choose a wife from another tribe (usually a distant cousin) and the cycle of life will continue.