Descriptive Essay: Trust In Family

“Wake up wake up” The eagerness inside me filled as the smell of pine needles and a shinning sun rushed into my room. It was Christmas, I rushed down the stares eye wide as bus and in surprise to find out which of the big red shining boxes were mine. Almost slipping on the bottom step, my little body flung to the gift of my parents. Ripping into the boxes, not caring where the pieces would land, although opening the first present wasn’t my greatest joy. A Mature and well living elder woman, crept down our stairs, to see her grand children, and watched me open her gifts. One of the only times I see her is during the Christmas. She greeted me with a “good morning” and with the biggest smile glued to here face. Not very often did I get to see my grandmother, as she lives in South Carolina. I always cherished these moments with her, watching and learning from her. Slippers robe and a bright face, she rubbed me on the back and observed the trash my sister and I had made.
Times like these make me realize one thing I’m lucky. I’m lucky too have people who love me, people who care and cherish the times they have with me. Holidays bring us together too catch up on the events that we’ve been through.  Grandmother although wise and mature always finds ways to make me feel bight inside when I’m with her.
Drawn to the smell of the soul food I arrived with my family into my grandmother’s house. Headed strait toward the kitchen, we passed the living room, with a set of couches and a lone piano. Passing by the well lit dinning room, my mouth watered and eye peeked to see what types food my aunts and grandmother had made. Arriving in the kitchen we all greeted each other as if we hadn’t seen each other in years. Long kisses on the forehead and hugs from my aunts, along with the strong grip hand shake from my uncles. Since everyone had now arrived my family decided once again it was time to give thanks on this special day. Once in the dinning room the crowded room got quite as one started to give thanks. As my Aunt Kimmy spoke her words, they were true as she told us that my cousin Vernon, who was placed in Afghanistan, was alive and well. As she finished one tear rolled down her cheek I knew she missed him. As if a spotlight fell on me it arrived at my turn, I looked around at my relatives smiling and waiting for me to go. My mind was blank as a paper with no ink, I peered out once again at my family but this time looking at my grandmother, she nodded. Then spoke “ Go a head, speak your mind so it will be from the heart.” I did just that thanking my mother and father for there guidance through out my life. I was thankful for the meal and ride that I got to the school bus everyday from my grandparents. As my turn ended, I thought to myself what my grandmother had told me had in fact worked, and what I was thankful for was true to the heart, and they accepted it. Knowing that if I had said something completely different they would’ve acknowledged my voice anyway. You can always rely on family to have your back.
                      Some may think twice about seeing family on a holiday because they might not be on good terms with one or two members of their family. As far as my family goes, I believe we are healthy family because we can have good times and bad times but still leave each other happy. Having this strong bond between a group people is fantastic, having someone to lean on when times are hard. I have been given a gift and sometimes I may abuse it.
                    Red lights beaming out the back window, we stop in front of the school. Glimpsing through the window, almost fogging up from the heat of the air conditioner, I rubbed the glass with my sleeve. Then I look up to an “Alright Buddy” from my grandfather signifying we had arrived at the school. Struggling to make it out the back seat, I hulled my blue backpack out the car. Closing the door my grandmother spoke those same words, “Do you want me to walk you inside?” Quickly as possible I replied with a shaking of my head, “No.” But she insisted to proceed out the car to fix my jacket and hat. Straitening my clothes, I disrespectfully told her, “I have it, stop” brushing her elderly hands off of my jacket. She then asked, “Do you know how to get to your classroom? Maybe I should walk you there.” This being my third year at GFS, a private school with a huge campus, I could understand why she would think I would get lost. I was scared that if she guided me to the classroom I would look a certain way to my peers. What would they think of me having a 75-year-old woman walk me to class? Maybe that I lived with her and not my parents, or they might have thought I was scared to walk on my own. In my head at the time this was a risk wasn’t ready to take, so insisted to keep her here in the parking lot where no one could judge me. Cold and mean spirited I told her once again, “I could walk by my self, and you can go home now.” She gave me an agitated face and waved “Alright I see you back here after school.” Blowing kiss as they drove she made me reach my highest point of humiliation. Why was I so embarrassed of my grandmother who cares what others think. This was not the real me, I love my family why was I so disrespectful?
        Wishing that those days of school went away, I regretted what I did to my grandmother. I was embarrassed by my own family. She was just looking out for my well being, and I shunned her away like she didn’t belong. I was making assumptions on how people would react to her, when she really had good intentions for me. Embarrassment should not lead you to disrespect your family.  Your family’s intentions are always good and sometimes you should just let the embarrassments go and allow them to take care of you.