Domestic Animal Cruelty #2

Hello everyone, this is Jiwon Choi writing another blog post about domestic animal cruelty. In blog #1, I talked about why abusing animals should have a stop to it and different types of facts about animal cruelty. For example, about the You and the World Project, the percentage of domestic animals getting abused, and some reasons why animals might be getting abused. From my previous blog post, I have found that another problem to domestic animal cruelty is that animals that were neglected and were abused end either being homeless or killed by their own owners. For this blog post, I researched more information about animal abuse which includes articles and my self-created research which was an interview. The articles that I mention in this blog post tells us why animal abuse needs to stop.

According to New York Times Article, Bronx and Queens in New York do not have animal shelters since 1985 because they thought it was unnecessary to pay the amount of money they need to just for animal shelters. This resulted animals that are neglected by their owners or have been abused to be in the streets homeless. In Bronx and Queens, without anyone rescuing these homeless animals, they have to find their own food and own shelter. If animals were not abused or neglected by their owners, they wouldn’t have been on the streets in the first place. (unless of course some pets ran away from home) I know that some pets might have ran away from home and end up homeless, but not many pets run away from home that makes about 300,000 stray animals on the streets.

Bernadette Ferrara decided to bait the kitten because she was worried about it roaming around. The kitten was eventually rescued and is now safe.

Another example of why animal abuse needs to stop is in the ABC news article. In ABC News Article, Mieczyslaw Zwolinski stomped on a cat when he saw it in his yard. The consequence of this man stomping on this cat at least six times, the cat’s owner took the cat to the veterinarian to get treated for the pain in the ribs and the bleeding cut in the cat’s mouth. According to the police, this man is going to the court for the charges he will be held to. Even today, people continue to abuse animals that did no harm to anyone. This article explains a lot about our current situation about domestic animal cruelty. A lot of people like this man that abuse animals because they know that they are stronger than animals are all over the world. Every year, there are about 1,880 animal cruelty cases reported.

For more information about animals that are neglected and or abused, I went to the Morris Refuge for my self-created research and interviewed a woman named Kerri that works there. In an year, there are about 3 to 4,000 animals that come to the Morris Refuge every year and about 200,000 cats in the streets currently. She says the world needs to be more educated about animal cruelty and the consequences of abusing these animals. Kerri says, “... Because I think that a lot of people don’t understand that animals are living organism not non-living objects like shirts or pants...” During the interview, I was also able to find out that animals that usually come to the animal shelter are skinny, might have scars, or injured, or they might even be frightened to see human beings so they move away. Domestic animals are tamed to fit with human beings and the fact that they shy away from people is not usually a normal sight.

In my opinion, I think that more people needs to be aware about animal abuse and neglect. After that step, people should follow the rules and stop hurting animals because animals have feelings also. I understand a lot more about animal cruelty and more reasons why people are abusing animals. As Kerri stated, if people understand that animals are also living organisms like human beings, I think domestic animal cruelty can lessen a bit. If everyone puts effort and care into this issue, I know that there will be less domestic animal cruelty in the future. For my next blog post, I will make announcements in my school (Science Leadership Academy), go to other high schools to announce this issue if I am allowed to, and make posters to let people aware about the laws about what is illegal about domestic animal cruelty. I wish that people put more care into this issue.
This dog was abused, and you can see that this dog has scares, and is injured. This dog is very skinny and the fur cannot really be seen in some parts of his bodies either.

Click here for my bibliography. Click here for the link to my interview with Kerri from Morris Refuge.