Eggplant fries

Crispy Eggplant Fries
Ingredients
  • 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/4 inch thick 'fries'
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions
  1. Dredge the eggplant slices dip them in the egg and then into a mixture of the panko breadcrumbs, salt and pepper.
  2. Place the eggplant slices on a wire rack on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated 425F oven until golden brown, about 7-10 minutes.

Analysis

First on average Americans consume about 29 pounds of french fries a year. Deep fried potatoes, now just imagine if you change the potatoes to eggplant, and them being deep fried to being bakes. One order of medium fries from a fast food restaurant is 365 calories, the same amount of eggplant fries in only 160, and thats with cheese.  

One order of medium fries is 117 grams, which is equal to 0.25794085 pounds, divide that by 29 pounds which is what we consume a year is 112.42887662, multiply that my 365 calories, thats around 41036 calories a year just from french fries alone. 

So for my meal I wanted to show a substitute for french fries. Eggplant is a vegetable that people often skip over. Although it is filled with vitamin B6niacinpotassium,folate, and vitamin K. Eggplant isn't a food that is often grown in America although many people grow them in gardens, the food is usually shipped from countries likeChinaIndiaEgyptIran, and Turkey. Eggplant is one worlds healthiest foods, eggplant helps regulate your digestive system, helps control diabetes, they are very low in calories, help lower cholesterol and help prevent blood clots.

There are no really no known big companies that sell eggplants alone. Many eggplants that go to local super markets are sold by who ever sells the tomatoes. So the markets and company that provides the tomatoes are the ones that making a profit off of the sell.

Panko bread crumbs and japanese style, they are mainly used for foods that are deep fried, but I used them fro baking. The ones I bought wear organic. Panko is breadcrumbs with out the crust of the bread, and they are larger and thicker. The eggs I got where from shopright, most eggs in the us come from hen houses, it really hard to say that a egg is bad, but most of the hens that lay these eggs and caged and feed corn and things like that. And salt was from trader joe's and it was sea salt, most of the US sea salt doesn't actually come from he sea, the one a bought was organic so hopefully it is genuine sea salt.  

Screen Shot 2015-01-15 at 7.37.59 AM
Screen Shot 2015-01-15 at 7.37.59 AM
Slide

I have a real problem with just eating something because it is in front of me, and it's a horrible habit. It mostly happens when I'm bored, and I don't think I'm the only one that has this problem. I've learned that if food easily available to you than you are going to eat it, when we have to go somewhere to get the food or we have to make it we aren't willing to do those things. Like have you ever drove past a fast food place and went I could eat, they do that on purpose. They know that when food is fast and easy to get people are going to get it.
​Personal Reflection

I've learn in this unit that I really need to start watching what my family and I eat. I find I don't even care that much the only thing I refuse to eat is McDonalds but I still eat the fries. I know that most things should not go into my body yet I still eat them.

There is no real reason that I don't eat better or watch what I eat, and I do understand that there are people out there that can't eat healthier or better because of cost, but I don't have a real reason. I think my main reason is that my mom and dad don't care that much and they aren't going to stop eating things because they were in cages or that are genetically modified. I feel like I'm making it harder on them when I say a refuse to eat something because of this.

But my real fear is that all these foods with GMOs will kill us. Learning more on this made my fear even worse, because in America they don't have to say what they put in our foods. The real question I have when I don't buy things from like whole food or trader joe's is what am I eating. Especially in the meat what ever they are giving our cows, turkeys, pigs, and chickens are killing us. And the media and public like to turn a blind eye because we can't afford to say I'm noting going to eat meat, or I'm going to start buying my meat organic. It just doesn't work, and until people real start learning about whats in our food things will stay the same.