Element Print: Antimony

​I have the element Antimony. The atomic number is 51 and the symbol is Sb, which comes from the Latin word "Stibium". Antimony has no known discovery date. Antimony was mentioned in the Old Testament, as well as in papyrus in the 16th century. There is an Antimony vase in the Louvre in Paris, estimated to be 5,000 years old. It was also used in kohl eyeliner in ancient Egypt. Today, Antimony is used in some batteries, bullets, cable sheathing, and flame retardant materials. 
In my print, I chose to have a kohl eye. This was a symbol used in ancient Egypt used to represent people wearing eyeliner, which contained large amounts of Antimony. The kohl eye symbol is so intricate, yet simple. I thought it would look great in a negative space print. For my print, I first sketched my kohl eye. I then copied the design onto tracing paper. Next, I flipped the tracing paper over, then copied my backwards design onto a foam plate. After that, I rolled paint onto my plate. Lastly, I flipped the plate onto fresh printer paper and applied light pressure to the back of the plate to transfer the paint.
If I were to do this project again, I would make my atomic symbol and number a little bit more distinguishable on the design. They were both a little bit small and hard to see. I would also press all of my negative space lines in further so they could be more prominent. I enjoyed printing the most. I really liked rolling the paint and printing it onto the paper. It was a very satisfying feeling. 

20180530_100326
20180530_100326