Everything is possible, even if you think it is not.

Sarybel Meléndez                                                                                      9-22-11

I am a person that thinks that everyone should make goals for themselves. I always had some goals I wanted to achieve. My past goal was to enter into Puerto Rico's most advanced high school called Centro Residencal de Oportunidades Educativas de Mayagüez (C.R.O.E.M). This school is specialized in mathematics and sciences. It is a residential school; a school where you actually sleep in.

Since I heard of it, I fell in love with the idea of being there, even though I knew I was not good at mathematics. After thinking about it, I decided to ask my parents. At first they were surprised at, but then they supported me, so I decided to go ahead and submit my request. A couple of weeks after, they told me that I was accepted! That was the greatest thing that ever happened to me. I was so happy, I could die.

Finally that day came, my first day of school. I went to the school, unpacked my things and got to the main school office. The building and the area were very beautiful; everything was so clean and put together. People were studying at every corner. Everything seemed so perfect! It was like a dream come true. I met a lot of people, some of those ones who right now I consider my siblings. The teachers were so nice to my roommates and me too. I felt very welcomed.

Through the year sometimes I felt like it was too hard for me, but suddenly, I said to myself, ”If I got the opportunity to be here, I can not waste it”. So I decided to go ahead, study and put a lot more effort to what I was supposed to do and I did it, hoping for the best. At the end of the year I graduated with one of the highest grades and with honors! That raised my confidence so much.

This situation taught me a couple of lessons that now I consider them as fundamental for a better life. It taught me that if you have a goal, you have to go for it, and that when an opportunity arrives, you should not waste it. It also taught me that if you have confidence in yourself, you could go through any tough situation. You have to go ahead, follow your dreams, and beat the obstacles. If did it, I am sure you can.