FAFSA Process_Reflection

The bureaucratic task that my partner, Lenea, and I selected is FAFSA. FAFSA is the free application for federal student aid, which is used for receipt of federal, school, and state aid. Lenea and I began by identifying the major components of the FAFSA—documentation, important steps, etc—we then examined the general components in greater depth. Eventually we both tried to tackle different aspects of the FAFSA process. We reconvened to share the information we found regarding our assigned parts of the FAFSA via google document and in-person discussion. As we both anticipated, the flow chart layout was the most challenging and time-consuming part of the project. However, we both continued to collaborate and compromise to create a solid, effective, and visually appealing product.

The paperwork for the FAFSA was straightforward, but when I arrived at the parent section things became confusing. I was not familiar with some of the questions—maybe because I am not familiar with the terms and I do not possess the information that was requested. I am sure that parents will be able to properly complete the section. I can’t identify any aspects of the FAFSA that should be changed because I understand, somewhat, why each step might be essential to the purpose of the process. The system might have become complicated so that people do not attempt to manipulate the system. The FAFSA specifically inquires a lot about family income, earnings, etc. The questions serve to ensure that the proper amount of money is granted to each family.