Fahrenheit 451 Podcast #3: A Good Death

Written by Ray Bradbury and published in 1953, “Fahrenheit 451” tells the story of Guy Montag, a fireman whose job is to collect and burn books in a society where any feelings of discomfort from existential crises to mourning loved ones have been outlawed and the priority is happiness by any means necessary.

From a little bit of Ray Bradbury backstory to what we would change about the book, this loose, rambling podcast offers a chill conclusion to our reading and analysis of “Fahrenheit 451”: one of history’s greatest dystopian novels.

Brought to you by the Fire 451 Squad: Zoe Kwas, Tayah Brunson, Isabella Torres, Hawa Diakite, and Cameryn Roach

https://youtu.be/XwcmDyXd_7o

Sarah Cohen (Student 2021)
Sarah Cohen

From this podcast I learned about Ray Bradbury's dismissal of the modern idea of information at your fingertips. I really liked how your podcast just sounded like a conversation rather than an assignment. I also enjoyed the music and the editing.

Ethan Chen (Student 2021)
Ethan Chen

I like how you connect the book to the real-world situation we are in and you brought up a great question of what Ray Bradbury would have thought about all of this where everything is all virtual and all our information if now digital than actual physical books. It is great how you also give your opinion about the ending of the book and comparing it back to the Handmaid tales. The most interesting part of this podcast is about Hawa talking about the role of death in books and movies I thought that was something to think about.

Michal Czapla (Student 2021)
Michal Czapla

I learned that Ray Bradbury was very opposed to technology and believed that TV "spoiled the brain", which has contributed to his inspiration for the book. I also learned about how not reading books is a better way to destroy them compared to burning them, and from that, I think Bradbury used that fire as powerful symbolism. I appreciated the relevant commentary from Zoe on how Bradbury would feel about virtual school given his negative views on staring at a screen all day. I also like the intro sequence and how it uses clips that ease the listener into the pod.