Feminist Film Review

Movie: Spirited Away 

This movie passes the Mako Mori test a little more than the Bechdel test because there is at least one female character. One of them that is focused on the most is the main character Chihiro. She is given a background story and the movie revolves around her trying to get her and her parents home since they are all trap in the spirit world by a cruel business owner who is a witch named Yubaba. It really does not support any man's story. There are also other female characters in this movie that I think, in my opinion, help this movie to pass the Bechdel test as well because there are points where the main character, Chihiro, interacts with other female characters, like Lin for example who also happens to work for Yubaba as well, and Yubaba. She has conversation with them that are not man at all about a man, like when she was talking about getting her parents freedom with Yobaba, and about getting a job with Lin. 

Bias Film test: For my test, I will call it the Heroine test, a movie has to have at least one female lead. She has to be able to work independently or with only a little bit of support, and her purpose in the movie is not for a man