Feminist Film review- Justin Stewart

Films go through different types of test to see what content is included in the film. The two test that I will be analyzing is the Bechdel test and Mako Mori test. The Bechdel Test is a test that portrays women in a way that is sexist or characterized by gender stereotyping. The Mako Mori test is a media test that analyzes a film to see If they have at least one female character that gets her own Narrative and does not support a man’s story. The two films that I will be analyzing are Frozen and The Hunger games.

Image result for the hunger games

The First Film that I will be analyzing is “The Hunger Games.” The Hunger Games is a film that released on March 23, 2012. This Movie follows a female main character named Katniss Everdeen. This movie takes place in the capital of Panem. The movie is about a survival game that has 12 districts and two teenagers are selected from each district. All the citizens have to watch as the teens fight until only one remains. Katniss has little to rely on other than her hunting skills and sharp instincts in an arena where she must weigh survival against love. This movie fails the Bechdel test because it doesn’t really portray women in a sexual way. It does pass the Mako Mori test because It has a female main character that doesn’t support a man’s story.

Image result for Frozen

The next film that I will be talking about is Frozen. Frozen is an animated film that was created in 2013. The story follows two sisters named Anna and Elsa. Anna must find her sister Elsa because she stormed out of a party. While Anna was searching for her sister, she comes across a Snowman named Olaf and a man named Kristoff. They decide to work together to try and find Elsa. This Movie Fails the Bechdel test because it doesn’t portray women in a sexual way. But it does pass the Mako Mori test because It has a female main character that doesn’t support a man’s story.

The name of my test is called the Love denial test. In order to pass this test, there has to be a female that’s the main protagonist and that female must not fall in love with a male. The hunger games and Frozen both fail this test. The Hunger games fails this test because Katniss is the Female main protagonist in her film, but she falls in love with a guy named Peeta. Frozen passes the test because Anna is the Female main protagonist in her film, but she falls in love with a guy named Kristoff.