Fifty Shades of Grey Marxist & Feminist Analysis (Hadleigh, Kay, Lotus, Sopheary)

Christopher Irwin-Diehl (Student 2018)
Christopher Irwin-Diehl

The video was very engaging. The whole idea of the lenses being used similarly to 3D glasses in a movie theater was an interesting way of introducing the analysis to the video. The analysis itself was deep as well, as it seemed that you chose scenes that I originally may not have viewed through Marxist or Feminist lenses, but rather through This-Guy-Is-Really-Creepy-and-Should-Never-Be-Allowed-to-Touch-Another-Human-Ever-Again Lens. The fact that you were able to draw meaning from such seemingly unrelated scenes gives the analysis sophistication.

Gabriel Garcia-Leeds (Student 2018)
Gabriel Garcia-Leeds

Great concept, the idea of the actual glasses was witty and smart, and made the video very engaging. Additionally, the footage you chose was relevant and entertaining, and left me wanting more. The analysis seemed to cover some good ground, although some points you brought up didn't seem completely realistic, and I found myself struggling to believe a couple of the points you raised. Still, there was obvious thought put into this, and the work behind the analysis and content seemed very fleshed out.

Harrison Wellner (Student 2018)
Harrison Wellner

The video was engaging, as it started out with an interesting and funny scene that turned the idea of the lenses into physical objects. The video cuts together between different scenes from the movie and analysis, giving a direct comparison between what's happening and what's being analyzed. The audio wasn't perfectly balanced at times, which made certain things difficult to hear. Overall, interesting and engaging.

The analysis was interesting and thought-provoking, going very into detail on the ideas that movie deals with, and what they mean. It clearly describes each thing well enough for someone who'd never seen the movie before and had never learned about the lenses to understand it, and it makes smart connections and statements about the movie. It may have been able to go a little deeper into certain things, however overall the analysis was strong and intelligent.

Elizabeth Burrows (Student 2018)
Elizabeth Burrows

I really enjoyed the idea of the video, it was really creative and well thought out. The fact that we travel with Hadleigh with her thoughts makes all the connections easy to understand and not hard to follow. I think the analysis was nicely written and the tone was really nice. The connections to the movie was really good and it opened my eyes to how to look at this movie, even though I have never seen it.

Nadia Green (Student 2018)
Nadia Green

I think that the video was good. I liked the live acting in the beginning. I think that the noise in the beginning was too loud and I couldn't hear what was being said while it was playing. I think that the analysis was good but there was nothing that went beyond my own bias. I think the questions were an overkill aspect. At first it was entertaining but as more kept being asked it made me want more and deeper analysis. I think that use of the movie was really good throughout the movie.