Final Stamp Design

In this assignment, I created negative and positive space. I expressed myself through this design. I had the letter C for the first letter of my name. Inside there's an outline of the Dominican and Salvadorian flag. My parents come from El Salvador and the Dominican republic. They are a huge part of me. I love my parents. They're apart of how I became the person I am. The first step I had to take was to think of 10 adjectives to describe myself. The most important one to me was my hispanic culture, my name, and family. I decided to combine these things into a symbol. Also when I visited the Dominican Republic, the palm trees were beautiful. When I think of these places, the palm trees are the first things that come to mind.

I had to figure out negative and positive space. Originally, I had a line drawing that didn't show positive and negative space. I colored my whole paper in pencil and created eraser marks to create my design. This strategy helped me understand how to understand this concept. Another concept that helped me was when I colored in the positive space so I could identify my mistakes and fix them. I realized I should focus on how the design will look afterwards when I cut it out. I have learned how to create my design and properly understand them. The vision in your head must be shown through the negative and positive space concept. The positive space is the main focus of the picture and the negative space is referring to the background. Practicing new strategies and testing them out independently really helped me fully understand it better.