Final Stamp Design - Sam Gualtieri

My stamp is a silhouette of Calvin (from Calvin and Hobbes) With negative space where the brain is. The point of this is not to say that Calvin has no brain, the intention is that I can draw inside of this space to represent imagination. Calvin has a vivid imagination, as shown when he talks to his life size intelligent tiger friend. In a letter from my 7th grade teacher, I was compared to calvin for have a Calvin style of thinking. I have a pretty big imagination. I think of lots of things. I don't think of a lot of actually good things. However, I think of lots of things. I tried doing a compilation of all the things I enjoy, but that proved to be difficult since I couldn't overlap or show detail in anything through negative space. I needed something more simple. I ended up making this. It's important that the brain is in negative so that, as I said before, I can doodle inside of it every time it's stamped or printed. I didn't have a very hard time grasping the concept of negative space since it's pretty just what's there and what isn't there. The space around a person or object is negative. The person or object is positive. I learned that it can be used to incorporate details outside of just what's physically there, such as simple facial features or seams. Overall there weren't too many hurdles to jump, and it was fairly interesting. 
IMG_20170512_130252
IMG_20170512_130252