French Toast Grilled Cheese

Recipe

Ingredients:

• Two eggs

• Two slices of bread

• Two pieces of cheese

• Unsalted margarine

• ¼ cup milk

• Cinnamon

Instructions:

1. Crack two eggs into a bowl and scramble until all of the egg is one color.

2. Mix milk into the eggs.

3. Heat a flat pan and melt a piece of margarine in the pan to coat the bottom.

4. Place a piece of bread into the bowl so one side is completely covered in egg. Then flip, and sprinkle cinnamon on top.

5. Lift bread out of bowl. Take bread out before it can get very soggy and start falling apart.

6. Put the slice of bread into the pan cinnamon side down. Then, sprinkle cinnamon over the other side.

7. Flip the bread once the side that is faced down no longer looks like raw egg.

8. Once other side is cooked, place the slice onto a plate.

9. Put one piece of cheese in the corner of the slice of bread. Then, rip the other slice of cheese in areas of the top of the bread the first piece of cheese did not cover.

10. Coat the second slice of bread in the remaining egg and cook like the first one.

11. Place the second slice on top of the cheese.

12. Let the sandwich cool for a moment, and then cut it in half if you desire.

Analysis

50% of the ingredients in this recipe are processed food while the rest is whole food. Eggs are a whole food since they come directly from chickens with little done to them except cleaning and packaging. Cinnamon,  type of tree bark that is just grated, is another whole food. Milk is almost a whole food, except it is pasteurized and sometimes has added vitamins.  Meanwhile, bread, margarine, and cheese are highly processed. It is possible to get cheese that is more of a whole food, but I tend to use cheese from Kraft.

This meal is unhealthy to eat everyday. Margarine almost only has fat, which is not healthy. Eating eggs too often causes high cholesterol, but it is a good source of protein, which the body does need. Cheese has calcium, but Kraft has added dyes and other unnatural ingredients. Arnold Whole Grain Oat Nut bread, which I use, gives protein, fiber, and whole grains, but also has added vitamins. Added vitamins are not as good as eating naturally occurring vitamins.

This meal is inexpensive. A dozen eggs, gallon of milk, jar of cinnamon, package of cheese, and box of margarine cost a few dollars each, and of each ingredient, only cents’ worth is being used. This meal only costs $1-2 approximately. This is about the same price as a burger on a fast food value menu, but with more whole grains than the rolls used in fast food. Both still are cooked with fat though.