Goldie Robins Capstone

My Final product is a Flow Chart made on Lucid Chart of the Capstone Process. The Flow Chart is broken down by quarters, starting with Quarter 1 and going through a timeline of what the Capstone process is and what the student need to get done and do in that quarter. It is the same for Quarter 2, 3, and 4. My process of this Capstone came from me not being able to be successful in my first/original Capstone idea. My original Capstone took up a lot of the year and after it not working out, I wasn’t as productive and proactive as I should have been to get another Capstone rolling. This caused me to feel stressed and in a state of helplessness. I know that I have not been the only person in SLA history to not have their Capstone work out like they wanted. I also know I will not be the last, so I figured it would be a great idea to really go through the process quarter by quarter to keep a student on track. I hope that they will use this product from the years to come to help them produce successful capstones from the beginning. I have learned a lot of the Capstone process as a whole which then led me to do this Capstone I am handing in and presenting. My goal is for it to help others!

Annotated Bibliography:

Chopora, Malika. "How To: Organize a 5K Charity Run." NonProfitPeople. N.p., n.d. Web. <http://nonprofitpeople.monster.com/training/articles/673-how-to-organize-a-5k-charity-run?page=3>.

Reading this article gave me great advice and ideas to further this race/capstone process. A lot of the first page of the article included questions which gave me an inquiry aspect of this capstone process and helped me with the questions I did not think of before. With the questions that they said for each topic in organizing a race, specifically a 5k charity run kind of turned into a checklist for myself. Answering the questions myself or researching and then coming up with ideas to answer the certain questions and how to go forth with the answer. It helped me by going step by step for each underlying topic in this big 5k topic. It breaks it down, so it is not as overwhelming as it lokos. Taking one part of the project one step at a time.

Eisler, Melissa. "Build a Budget, Find Sponsors, Promote Your Race." Active.com. N.p., n.d. Web. <http://www.active.com/running/articles/build-a-budget-find-sponsors-promote-your-race>.

This website really showed/proved me what I can do with basically a no budget race. It gave me more promotion ideas and how I can go about doing that process. What I can do to execute getting sponsors which is really a big goal and my main point to this process. It showed me the different ways of communicating and networking in a successful way. Websites to use or look at at, who and what to say when I talk to them. The ideas of instead of trying to go big with sponsors and trying to reach past my limits, to go into local business’ whether they would like to give money or do something with a “gift bag: and to have them put a deal or something like that in there. It gave me different aspects that I could go from giving me a wide variety of choice.

Hinton, Kristin. "Learn All about Virtual Race Bags! (Webinar Replay)." Virtual Race Bags. N.p., 24 May 2013. Web. <http://www.virtualracebags.com/2013/05/learn-more-about-vrb-through-a-30-minute-webinar-replay/>.

This website is absolutely the coolest. The website as a whole taught me all about virtual goodie bags for a race. What they are, how they work, and why it is successful. Now, there are many websites for virtual race bags but this one really grabbed my attention. They are there for assistance setting up sponsors pages and they have already had big a small sponsors so I would hope that it would attract attention to sponsors because of how successful the website has been in the past. Also with the help and webinars the website has to guide and assist you through the whole process. This video is about 30 minutes including race director reports, sponsors reports, pricing, improving the dashboard and much more to draw attention. This is something that is really neat and offering this would help with race registration.

Martin, Pia, and Caitlin Thompson. "How Should I Do This?" Personal interview.

I have been in discussion with Ms. Martin and Ms. Thompson throughout this whole process. They have assisted me with when I wanted to do a physical race about changing dates and then going to change dates for my virtual race. Ms. Martin is one of the reasons I was convinved to change my event to a virtual race. She showed me examples and resources I can use. Also both Ms. Thompson and Ms.Martin had materials and other products that I would beable to have access to if I needed to .They have shown me timing apps, certain websites, how to go about doing something on way instead of another. They have research and asked other outsides sources questions and checked facts for me. Honestly, without them I do not think I would be where I am in my process right now. They are always looking out for things for me and have been more than helpful for not being my mentor.

"How to Organize a Race." Active.com. N.p., n.d. Web. <http://www.activeendurance.com/assets/activeendurance%20digital%20assets/event%20director%20guides/pdf/how-to-organize-a-5k.pdf>.

This is legitimately the ultimate guide. There are eight chapters and sub-topics that they touch about. Each one has its own numbered list in each topic. It really takes you step by step through the process. This one has especially helped me with getting my word out. What e-mails I should send and to who, what websites I should and can put them on, using their race registartion, flyers, and creating certain websites. It is all connected with sponsors, the race registartion, the final race day and more. Although it has the same information as other websites, they take a diffferent approach, have diffeerent step by step and details and really and it has really motivated me to get started and really go forth with the thinks and everything they have provided me.

"How to Organize Your First Race." Active.com. N.p., n.d. Web. <http://www.active.com/running/articles/how-to-organize-your-first-race>.

This is basically a “hub” of information in one website page. There are a lot of links to different articles and sites under topics. Pages helping choosing locations, date, even setting goals, permissions (if needed), and how I am going plan the logistics. Giving me websites to build a budget, finding sponsors, and promoting my race. Day of my race checklists, after event checklist with medals, shirts, and more if it pertains to me. It has been really helpful because it has led me to more than one broad topic under organizing a race. It’s different than the others with organizing the page different along with going at different perspective and different ideas and ways to approach the same thing.

"Running for Kicks and Giggles." Running for Kicks and Giggles. N.p., 27 Aug. 2013. Web. <http://runningforkicksandgiggles.wordpress.com/2013/08/27/confessions-of-a-virtual-race-director/>.

Reading this article was a total open up. It was coming from a perspective of someone who was like me. It wasn’t just a regular advertising website. So it gave me insight on someone who came from not organizing a race at all who had an interest and went for it. That is something  that I am doing so sharing their experience and what they had to do and what they found was interesting seeing their pros and cons and their experience. Nothing was sugar coated and it really touched her experience and process from not doing anything to the end of finishing the process, virtual run, and wanting to do it again.

"Running for Kicks and Giggles." Running for Kicks and Giggles. N.p., 25 Aug. 2013. Web. <http://runningforkicksandgiggles.wordpress.com/2013/08/25/virtually-running-101/>.

From the article above it is from the same person. The other one was talking about her process of seeing virtual runs, signing up for them, and then starting to be addicting and realizing that she wants to be a race director of one. With that whole process from start to finish, she took all her experience and what works and what didn’t and what will go well with a 101. Really her experience starting from nothing and moving it forward.

Sennebogen, Emelie. "Family Fun and Crafts." TLC. N.p., n.d. Web. <http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/family/how-to-plan-5k-race-event.htm>.

This was interesting to see and read, cause it was from TLC. I think of TLC as a tv channel and not something that could really help me. It did help, but ti has a different perspective and different descriptions to do things. It is also something that I feel I can trust and something that I believe works because of

"THE WALKB4URUN VIRTUAL 5K" Black Girls RUN. N.p., n.d. Web. <http://www.blackgirlsrun.com/national-events/walkb4urun/>.

This website gave me a lay out, ideas, and everything included to put my race page together. It gave me a page to really look to for advice to write, what to say, and what ideas to tell them. It helped with a timing app they could use, telling them to record their stuff, about virtual race bibs and everything included up to race day. Instead of just giving me advice and what to do, an actual website and race that worked and was successful and something that is proven to work and get peoples attention.