Hannah Layton Capstone

Screenshot 2018-05-10 at 2.32.03 PM
Screenshot 2018-05-10 at 2.32.03 PM

For my capstone, I wanted to do something that incorporated the Philadelphia music scene. I like photography and I have prior experience making portfolios. So, I decided to try photojournalism by taking candid pictures of two Philly bands Georgey V and Well Room. I was interested in helping these bands get publicity while learning more about the music industry. I interviewed both bands to learn about how and why they got involved in shows. After completing this project, I realized despite knowing a lot about this community, there’s a lot I didn’t know about the process of writing music, recording and performing.

All photos: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1gSMg02UK65Op0Ltlb2V6Gqb5nRO2zau33i0zmtntDo8/edit?usp=sharing

Bennett, Andy, and Richard A. Peterson. Music Scenes: Local, Translocal and Virtual. Vanderbilt University Press, 2004.

This book indicates several ways in which music is shared with communities. A large part of this book revolved around the subject of technology’s effect of music industry and platforms. I found that the discussion on contrast between individual music scenes helped me gather more information about how these communities develop.

Briggs, Mark, and Jennifer Preston. Journalism a Practical Guide to Digital Reporting and Publishing. Sage, 2016.

Reading Journalism a Practical Guide to Digital Reporting was a helpful way to understand the methods used within photojournalism. Previously I’ve never taken many candid shots, but for this project I knew there would be a lot of movement. Instead of trying to give the illusion that these shots weren’t posed, I decided to take photos while the bands were actively playing their music. The movement helps tells a story, one of the key factors of photojournalism.

Becker, Howard S. “Photography and Sociology: Studies in Visual Communication.” Contemporary Sociology, vol. 31, no. 2, Oct. 2002, p. 250.

This source is a journal from a scientific study on visual communication through photography. It gave helpful insight into studies about the development and structure of human society. Answering important questions about why visual communication like photography intertwines with sociology.

Hevner, K. “Expression in Music: a Discussion of Experimental Studies and Theories.” Psychological Review, vol. 42, no. 2, Feb. 1935, pp. 186–204.

I used this article to learn about how music has evolved to become a form of expression. It’s a thorough description of the results within experimental studies regarding expression through music. Several theories have emerged over the years from the data that has been collected. It was useful to see the affect writing music has on people’s mental state.

Schäfer, Thomas, et al. “The Psychological Functions of Music Listening.” Frontiers in Psychology, U.S. National Library of Medicine, 9 Dec. 2013, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3741536/.

This source is somewhat similar to the prior scientific journal. Instead referencing research about how listening to music affects a person. There’s evidence that listening to music is often used to achieve self-awareness, regulate emotions, and as an expression of social connection.