HIV=AIDS fact or fraud!

Hello world, my name is Tyanna Pleasant, I am 15 years old, and I am a freshman at Science Leadership Academy. My issue is about HIV/AIDS; the reason why is I have a friend who just died from AIDS and it was very upsetting. I wanted to explore more about what HIV/AIDS is and how to prevent it so I can spread my knowledge around to my friends and family members.

So far in my research I learned a lot about my topic. I learned that AIDS (Acquired immune deficiency syndrome) is the final stage of HIV (Human immunodeficiency virus). Scientists first recognized HIV/AIDS in 1981 in two homosexual men, one in Los Angeles and he other in New York. The two men had pneumonia and rare skin tumors called Kaposi's sarcomas. Soon this disease was recongnized all over the United Sates, Western Europe, and Africa. In 1983 scientists described the cause of AIDS, which is HIV, which is an increase in low CD4 cell count.

I wonder if there is any way to stop this disease from spreading and if there is a cure or something to stop it from expanding in their bodies for the ones who have HIV/AIDS. Also, if there are any symptoms that you would have that may give you an idea that you have HIV/AIDS in the beginning stages. Next, I want to go more into detail about HIV and what is it, how does it grow, maybe even what does the cell look like inside of you.

Screen shot 2011-05-03 at 9.19.21 AM
Screen shot 2011-05-03 at 9.19.21 AM
Screen shot 2011-05-03 at 9.20.19 AM
Screen shot 2011-05-03 at 9.20.19 AM