Hotel, Motel, Nevermind Im Staying In...

Everyone can relate to me, when I say we are all coming to that age. The one where we can say “I’m legal”, or to sass a teacher when they tell you “tilt your screens” and you mumble “I’m grown”, low enough for them to not catch your exact words but at a volume to make your peers chuckle.

For some accepting you’re aging is the challenge and taking on new responsibilities. For others planning the celebration would be one of the most challenging things. Well for me it is. Even though we consider ourselves to be “legal” or “grown” we still have those parents who cant let go, or at least loosen their grip. My friends and I decided to throw a hotel party together to all celebrate our 18th year.

“Who are we inviting?” I asked eagerly.

“I don’t know everybody.”  My friend responded quickly.

“ C’mon were gonna get kicked out.” I said resisting her idea.

“It’s a risk you have to take.”

“ Wait how ya’ll paying for it and what ya’ll telling ya’ll parents?” A random voice added in.

“Look man we will worry about that when the time comes.” I said in a jokingly manner.

We then spoke realistically about our plans and decided to propose our ideas to our parents. As I was relaxed my phone rang, I received a text saying “What’s your mom’s number?”

I eavesdropped on the conversation between my mother and my friend’s mother. I could only make out a few words but I was sure when I heard “They think they’re grown.” Once you here that, its downhill from there.  I crept back into my room.

Soon after a brief conversation, the next thing I knew, the hotel party was on hold. I received a call from mom saying “I have plans this weekend I don’t plan on chaperoning.” 

With confusion I asked “what?”

I slowly came to the realization that my plans were falling apart. I asked her “how can you just volunteer yourself to attend my party mom I’m grown you don’t have to watch me or my friends?”  And she said “how old are you?”

Proudly I danced a little and I responded with “ I’m 18!”

She said “Right and until your 21 and can answer me without dancing I’m responsible for you. I will sleep on it.”