How I FEEL

Do you have a clue on how I feel? 2020 is one of the worst things that could have happened to me or any teenager. 2020 was supposed to be the year that I was supposed to find my true self, others too. Some of us were 8th graders going to 9th grade, some of us were 12th graders going to college or just trying to make a lot of money. STOP, can you hear me!! Can you hear us!!

2020 has me broken, I don’t even feel as though I’m myself. Im am currently a 9th grader, yes I was one of those students starting a new school virtually. It’s hard. People say everything is going to be ok but it’s not, the world is different now. Our “President” has put the United States in shock. The police that are supposed to be protecting us, as people but no they are killing people like me. Yes, Im black and after all the deaths (George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Walter Wallace Jr. etc.) George Floyd died because I white officer had his knee in his neck!! Breonna Taylor was shot in her own house because the police didn’t want to announce themselves. Walter Wallace Jr. was shot and killed in Philly by a white police man because they were scared, why did they have to use the gun? If they have tasers. I’m scared to be in my black skin. All the protests that turn into looting. The COIVID-19, QUARANTINE!! Are you sure you want to know how I really feel? I’m tired, stressed, I just don’t feel like me. It’s been a lot, a little too much for some people like me to handle. I mean we have a new President. At Least we got Trump out of office but this is going to cause more problems. Trump supporters have been laying low but they are coming up with something and I know it’s not going to be good. I just hope the world can become a better place. It’s hard to live in a world where everyone isn’t treated equally.

2020, I haven’t been able to see any of my family which sucks because family means everything to me. The friends that I did have I don’t talk to them as much because they all live far from me. I have to work on weekends so even if I wanted to hang with friends I couldn’t, but at least I get to travel to Houston, Texas to visit my mom and my brothers.

This is how I really feel. I’m scared. How do you really feel? Are you scared?

Ruby Kirk (Student 2024)
Ruby Kirk

This is really powerful. Your question of "how do you really feel?" is really important and I liked the part where you ask if they really want to know how you feel. Because so much has happened this year that creates a lot of feelings, and you put it really well.