Humanities Final Portfolio 2013

English Journal

History Journal

Language is Key

Response to modern day sweat shops

Picture of my group at an interpritive dance class

Poems

Reflection is something that teaches me that I am not perfect. Something that I’ve really been trying to do is find myself and know who I am. In Mr.Blocks class, I realize that the whole course is just one big reflection, learning yet simultaneously focusing on our individuality. I have not really done anything to discover myself, yet being in Block’s class has shown me things about mysef that I haven’t noticed before. In the beginning of the year I was very quite and shy about my opinions. Just writing down whatever, not thinking much of it but then as we started getting into deeper topics I was forced to look deep inside of myself for answers. The first two examples I have are my journal entries. One is a mini letter reflection that I had o write to myself to reflect on my work. The other journal entry is my view on violence and non-violence. My third link is a piece I did on Language and my views on it. I wrote about my first language. And whether it was truely english or spanish. In my fourth link is my response to modern day sweatshops. It really made me look at myself and really taught me appriciation. Because I’m wearing a 15-20 dollar shirt that took a sweat shopworker 30 cents to make. They can’t even afford the clothes they wear. My fifth link will just be linking to my groups interperative dances. For this one, it really made me get far away from my comfort zone. I was taught something that I never tried out before. Interperative dance was very weird and very foriegn to me because I thought that it was really weird dancing random moves but after doing it I realized that it was much more than just swaying your body around an object. It was about telling a deep story, and bringing attention to something that really needed it. On friday 6/7/13 my group and I did an interperative piece on Van Pelt street. We noticed that the area was very patriotic and we came up with the idea of bringing the past to the future. Being robot soilders. What I got from this experience was to be more relaxed and creative. And to also enjoy and notice the little things in life. With each assignment in Block’s class I try to take home a new lesson. From the beggining of the course to now I have been more open and vocal with the class and in my journals. Especially when we got to the poem section of our course. Here is where we had to write all of our poems and I found a new way to express myself. Especially my “Ode to my cookbooks” poem. I never liked to tell people that my dream was to be a chef. But in Block’s class we learn to be ourselves, so I figured I should write about something that was truely near and dear to me. Over this whole course, it has taken me on a road to self discovery.
Individuality
Individuality