Humanities Portfolio 2012

Jessica Maiorano

Final Portfolio

Before I came into his class I wasn’t sure what we were going to do. When I first walked into Mr. Block’s class I wasn’t a good writer and I didn’t like history class but Mr. Block made his projects different and creative. Every project was unique in its on way and that’s what I liked about it. We had the freedom to write our thoughts in our papers.

I wrote a poem the first day of Mr. Blocks English class. He told us to go home and write a page tonight and let the page come out of you then it will be true.

“I am me and that’s who I want to be

I am fifteen cool, fun and free

I see and hear just like you

But very different I am to you”

About a month ago Mr. Block told us to make poetry wiki of all different poems we are going to write in class during our poetry unit. One of poems I was most proud of was my riff poem.

“The feeling you get when you realized you can run all those miles
Every step we take were getting closer
Is that want we want?”  

That quote was only part of my poem but you do not even need to see the rest of it to know that my writing has changed. I have grown as a writer and as a student in Mr. Blocks English and history class.

There were projects that I found hard and there was projects that I thought were easy but I made sure I turned in my best work. Hard work leads to a lifetime accomplishments. My language autobiography was a writing that I worked hard on. In my Language autobiography I wrote, “Yes, it may take a lot of work and you may struggle and at times it might not make sense but language helps you accomplish greater things.” That is true with language but also with everything else if you work hard enough.

In history we were learning about sweatshops and revolutions and something I heard a lot when were talking about these topics is “ Once something negative happens then more negative things happen.” When I think about this subject I just think that hope will get you through your challenges. People are making our clothes for lower then minimum wage. They will punish you if you do not do your work correct and all you want is the end. Struggles help you work harder to achieve your goals.

Overall Mr. Block’s class is a class that will help you think outside the box. Create things and write about things you never thought you could do. His collaboration with companies outside of school makes you want you explore new things.