I cried today...

Onji, 

The admissions committee at New York University has carefully considered your application and supporting credentials, and it is with regret that I must inform you that we are unable to offer you admission to NYU this year.  I am so sorry about the disappointing news.

Please know that your application and supporting credentials were given full consideration.  As you likely suspect, we receive more applications from exceedingly qualified students than we are able to admit each year.  This year was no exception, as this was one of the most competitive admission processes in NYU’s history.  Unfortunately, even though students may be clearly competitive for admission based on their academic records and their test scores, we are only able to admit a fraction of qualified students given the space we have available in our classes at NYU.  Please know that whether or not you requested financial aid or on-campus housing did not factor into our decision-making process.

Given the volume of applications we receive each year – roughly 42,000 – please understand that we do not have an appeal process of any kind and we cannot reconsider your application this year.  You can certainly re-apply for admission as a transfer candidate, should you matriculate elsewhere next fall, but we cannot reconsider your application until then and we cannot evaluate any new credentials or materials at this time.

Again, I am sorry for the disappointing news.  My experience shows that the vast majority of students who are delivered similar news – myself included, as I was not admitted to my own first choice university more than 20 years ago – go on to be highly successful in their chosen fields of study.

On behalf of the NYU community, I wish you only the best as you continue your education.

Sincerely,

Shawn L. Abbott, Ed.D.
Assistant Vice President for Admissions

_____________________________________________________________

I was trying to get into my Temple account when I couldn't seem to log in. So I go to my e-mail to look for the e-mail that gave me my username and password, when I see I have 12 unread messages; one of which was from New York University - labeled "Your Admission Decision." Excitement surged through me, because this was it. This was what I'd been waiting for since December when I applied. Each day I thought, if not drooled over my future life in New York as NYU. And so I opened it. I read to "with regret," and my heart sank. First unsure how to take the heart stopping news, I continued to read down to the very last word, even though I knew what it would read. I had gotten the same letter from Villanova, but that was far less disappointing. After reading it I handed the computer to my sister for her to read. Then I turned and tears burned my eyes and washed my cheeks. I cried... a lot. Snowball came trotting over and jumped on my lap and tried to lick the tears away but I just laid her down and grabbed for my Kleenex. But no matter how many times I wiped the tears away, it didn't change the fact that my whole future has changed, whether for better or worse is irrelevant, it's how I'm suppose to plan my life from here on out. I was always the type to plan my future, or anything for that matter, but I'd only plan for the best outcome and never the a bad outcome be a reality. But now I know one of the most important lessons I could ever learn; plan for the best, the good, the bad, and the worst. That way, disappointment won't hurt nearly as bad.  

-Onji