Ian McClendon Music Blog #2

The shape of a guitar it is mainly constructed for a comfortable fit in the arms of whom is playing the instrument. Certain sized guitars can be represented for specific sizes by the length of your chest to the bottom of your palm should be the length of the guitar neck.  

-The shape of an instrument is a vital key for producing that certain sound. In the case of a acoustic guitar the structure of it should be hollow and a minimal amount of holes to reverb the vibrations of the string. Each string has a different tension and a different thickness to it which gives it the variation of sound. By strumming/ plucking a string it vibrates. Those vibrations represent the wave lengths depending on the string. Then the vibrations can be amplified by an amp for a electrice guitar or with an acoustic the hollow compression of the base allows the sound to enter the base and amplify while exiting. An example could be blowing into a empty bottle and generating that hum. 
-To change the pitch or tone of the instrument tightening the string changes that. On the top of the neck are knobs connected to each individual string. To make the tone of a string sharper it is rotated to the left. To make the tone flatter it is turned to the right. The most important part to amplify the sound is to have the string highly tensioned and a hollow base for the wave to enter and be amplified.
-I plan to use either a heavy duty card board box as my hollow base or I could construct a base with rounder edges to the waves of the sound to reverb better. As far as materials go; wood, strings, string mounts, saw, screws, drivers, other handy man necessities. I'm planning to make the guitar more of a ukulele. Higher tensioned strings with fewer frets on the neck but still retains the pitch needed for the song.  

guitar_necks
guitar_necks
Acoustic-Guitar-Shape-Chart
Acoustic-Guitar-Shape-Chart
wd-fender-strat-guitar-neck-rosewood-med