Immigration Visualization Project Reflection

https://www.lucidchart.com/documents/view#4db779d6-99e8-408f-b0d9-39290a56d331?branch=4868c155-9292-4f7f-8e9e-ec083d579280

• What surprised you most about this information?  What seemed quite obvious about explaining this data set?
    As I was completing the historic explanation for each year I expected that the reason for each dip was simply a law that was past or a war. That was the case for some time periods. Some of the laws we found only affected one group of immigrants, for example the Immigration Act of China.When I think of immigration, I feel like it is often linked to people from places such as Mexico and Africa, so reading about how immigration from places like China was affected was different for me.I guess it was surprising because I haven't really considered immigration laws from China.

• Looking at the overall trend and incorporating what you know about the US presently, predict and defend the immigration trend for the next two decades.
    I think that the immigration rate would decrease a little bit because new laws would become more strict on the requirements for coming to America. Based on the fact that terrorism is such a big concern I dont think anyone is going to allow a whole lot of immigrants to come to America.

• Describe how you made a decision on how to visually represent the information.
    At first we knew for sure that we wanted to use picture to represent each decade. However when we went through the list of tools given to use we had a hard time finding something that could help us use our pictures to create something kind of like a timeline. We got the idea of using the picture as boxes connecting from Ms. Launfenberg.
  • What parts of group work were challenging?
    I think specifically with this project it was hard for me to let others do all the work. At one point I kept asking if there was anything that I could do but a great majority of it was covered.Which is different for me because usually i am the one taking on the major parts and compiling everything together.
  • What would you do differently if you had this project to do over?
    When we started the project I had one set idea but as the project progressed and was completed I came up with some ideas of how we could have put the pictures together differently. Now That I think about it we could have used the pictures we collected to make some kind of collage.  
  • Comments (1)

Imani Johnson (Student 2013)
    Imani Johnson

I enjoyed your project because it was simply a great visual. It was very easy to understand why the rates changed thanks to the pictures, also it was helpful to have the graph alongside the pictures. Good job!