Immigration Visualization Project Reflection

ImmigrationChartMLKHSH
ImmigrationChartMLKHSH

To view chart in full view, click here. https://www.lucidchart.com/documents/view#4e73634a-e110-46dc-be67-14c60a7f13a0?branch=39ec39e3-743f-45d9-aa53-e10b25501552

• What surprised you most about this information?  What seemed quite obvious about explaining this data set?

Many things that I was surprised about was the act that were established through the few decades I researched. I was surprised to see that someone were very discriminating. Some small things seemed to have quite an affect on America in that time. I also found a few things that I wasn't very surprised to see such as the Spanish, American War, Immigration Act of 1917 and 1918, and The Great Depression. 
  • Looking at the overall trend and incorporating what you know about the US presently, predict and defend the immigration trend for the next two decades.
    I think that it will rise. America isn't the only country that is facing economic issues but on the other hand I think that it could possibly decrease eventually. Within the next two decades I believe immigration into America will continue to increase. 
  • Describe how you made a decision on how to visually represent the information.
    Within my group we decided that the most straightforward place to represent our information would be a lucid chart. We thought that this would help us organize our thoughts and create a clean visualization. Originally we were going to show the volume of immigration by changing the sizes of the boxes. Then we agreed to use color instead. We thought it would be softer on the eyes and not so harsh. 
  • What parts of group work were challenging?
    The most changeling part was organizing all our thoughts and finding a way to represent those thoughts and research. We wanted to create something that would be interesting and people would want to look at while also incorporating all the details. 
  • What would you do differently if you had this project to do over?
    I would definitely find a different way to represent the information because this was something that I have only done a few times before so I would like to see how else I would be able to interpet this information. Also, I'd like to see what other tools are available for these kinds assignments. 

Katherine Hatzidais (Student 2013)
Katherine Hatzidais

I agree with both of you. Our visualization is very literal and easy to understand. We had difficulty finding a unique way to represent our information. This was very out of our element. I think we could have tried some other resources and thought more outside of the box.

Cyndilynn Sheridan (Student 2013)
Cyndilynn Sheridan

Overall, I thought this presentation was very informative and exactly to the point. As the reader, I was able to understand what occurred during each decade. I also like the color scheme noted by other readers because it makes your presentation more enthusiastic and effective.

Shamarlon Yates (Student 2013)
Shamarlon Yates

This project is very organized and this allows to the reader to quickly read and understand the information that is presented. The color coding was also good because it makes the presentation easier to understand. I would recommend that you included some photos of various events that took place in each decade. Pictures would make the audience want to interact with it more. Great job :)

Justin Pullins (Student 2013)
Justin Pullins

This is a very interesting visual. One of the things that really stood out to me here was how clear and concise the information was. From the first glimpse of seeing your visual piece, I was able to decipher the information easily.

I also like the color coding of each decade. This, once again, allows one to view the information in a clear and concise format and provides the view a visual attraction.

One thing I would have done was tried to find a creative element to instill into the photo. At the moment, your visual is simply a timeline, and though its a great one, it's not very creative or original.

Once again, great job!

-JP