Immigration Visualization Project Reflection- Marina Pyfrom

Our Image: 
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2267701/Screen%20Shot%202011-09-22%20at%205.53.43%20PM.png

Beginning this project and looking the data the part that shocked me the most was the actual number of immigrants coming to United States. The numbers were extremely large. The unclear message  I believe was the decreases in certain decades and I wanted the answer as to why the number of immigrants fell. The visual aspect of the project that was assigned really made answer understandable. 

At this present moment United States are dealing with the economic crisis. It is unknown where this dilemma will lead to whether its another depression or a positive turn around. With that being said I think the decade 1990-2000 hit its peak the only next step is to decrease in the following years. 

My partner and I both decided we wanted to make our project visually unique. We both talked about different possible ideas. We went back and forth and together we had chosen the monopoly game board. We were very exciting about our idea and could not wait to see its turn out.

In agreement with my partner the most challenge part was graphing our data in a creative way. We tried to present our data in many different ways but none of them worked out in the way we wanted them to. So with limited time we made a bar graph with monopoly hotel pieces to represent the numbers. 

I would change nothing because we took a chance with this project. We did something never done or seen before.  I love our monopoly board game and proud of its outcome!

Shamarlon Yates (Student 2013)
Shamarlon Yates

I think that this was a very interesting, fun and creative way to present your information. You really thought outside of the box for this assignment. I also like there that is a lot of information but some of it is hard to read. I think that the information could have been organized a little bit better so it would be easier for the reader to understand the information. I also think that you could have included more pictures to make the presentation pop more. :)

Malik Tlili (Student 2013)
Malik Tlili

hi. i like what you have done with your visiualization concept. you constructed a simple and patriotic theme that was easy and fun to comprehend. the words around the boxes were somewhat hard to read but viewing the graph was really all needed to see. well done.

Marina Pyfrom (Student 2013)
Marina Pyfrom

Yea we were actually thinking that but given the small size boxes we really couldn't add the pictures. The graph that is put in the center was actually our final decision which we really didn't want to do but being that time was running short we just had to do. We actually wanted to have the houses be on top of the boxes and go around the square showing the increases and decreases. Sadly the layout didn't quite work out like that but we are still happy with our final outcome :)

Marina Pyfrom (Student 2013)
Marina Pyfrom

Yea I know that was another thing I'd change. We took a lot words off and it still looks full. But yeah I understand exactly what you mean and I appreciate your comment :)

Allison Patterson (Student 2013)
Allison Patterson

I really like your project because it's a very creative idea. However, I feel like the font is a little hard to read and it's very wordy. Maybe if you were to print it and blow it up like a normal board it would be easier to read.