Inhumane Act Post #3

Inhumane Acts

According to http://www.govtrack.us/  the Victims of Trafficking and Violence Protection Act (P.L. 106-386) was created “To combat trafficking of persons, especially into the sex trade, slavery, and slavery-like conditions in the United States and countries around the world through prevention, through prosecution and enforcement against traffickers, and through protection and assistance to victims of trafficking.” With this, Representative Chris Smith had immediate supporters for this cause. There were 37 supporters of this bill andEniFaleomavaega [D-AS],Neil Abercrombie [D-HI1],Richard Armey [R-TX26] , andCass Ballenger [R-NC10were four of them. Public support for this bill wasn’t hard to come accroos while researching.

Organizations such as the The Trafficking of Asian WomenandUnited States Conference of Catholic Bishops have been big supporters of this bill since it was signed on October 28, 2000 by William Clinton. This bill has also helped support other organizations likeSecurity on Campus, which is an organization that targets violence on campus. According toSOC, “It remains the first and only nonprofit organization dedicated to the prevention of criminal violence at colleges and universities nationwide through educational, awareness, and policy initiatives.” The media response to the Victims of Trafficking and Violence Protection Act (P.L. 106-386)  has been very interesting. The most intriguing was a c-span video: http://www.c-spanvideo.org/videoLibrary/clip.php?appid=596401441. 

This video held key information about the bill but there are still people who do not agree with it.

The opponents to this bill are only the human traffickers. There have been millions of people who have took part in this inhumane crime but in recent news Rubicela Montero has been convicted of human trafficking inChicago. This issue is only growing, but there has been progress and there will be more progress if the traffickers stopped. Human traffickers have the upper hand in this fight for these women and children who are trafficked everyday. Alison Siskin and Liana Sun Wyler wrote the Trafficking In Persons Policy. This policy will open the eyes of many people who are also fighting against human trafficking.

Raising awareness and having programs within schools to support people who have been victims of human trafficking or victims that go along with Human Trafficking, such as rape, abuse, and  forced prostitution, is my ultimate goal with lobbying this topic. Alpha Kappa Alpha Inc. will be the major supporter at this time. Having access to the women in this organization will open opportunities needed to  contact national officials fighting Human Trafficking in the United states. To inform the School District of Philadelphia about the seriousness of Human Trafficking will be a great stepping stone. Young women are the key targets of this terrible crime and the emotional brutality that comes along with rape and abuse, will last for the rest of these women's lives.  By the beginning of February, there will be meetings set up with Alpha Kappa Alpha members to discuss the fight against  Human Trafficking.