Introverted Extroverts

Luis-Manuel Morales

05/01/2017

The Final 2Fer

Introverted Extroverts

Subliminal contradictions play a big role in many lives. Most people don’t notice, and may never do so. A person with both introvert and extrovert traits may appear to be conflicting themselves. An outgoing, shy person may sound ridiculous, however this is the case for many. Although it goes against popular belief, can a person demonstrate both introvert and extrovert personality traits?

The definition of introvert is a shy, self conscious person whose actions are often directed towards themselves. The definition of extrovert is an outgoing, expressive individual whose actions are often driven outward.. These antonyms make up for plenty of people's character descriptions, however for some, they carry both traits. Whether it's just for a day or the permanent makeup of a personality. In an article by Life Hack, David Khim goes breaks down what some may see as an Introverted Extrovert, or simply mood change, bad days, and other factors in life that can lead to such perspectives. Sometimes the days exhausting or uncertain, unpleasant circumstances can create an introverted extrovert. Or a person may just simply be born like such, and have those traits all the time. Sometimes a bad day or unforeseen circumstances can change moods and motives, however this does not mean they are necessarily permanent.

The perceptions of introverts, extroverts,have there pros and cons. The two together give more layers and genuinity to a person. In a 2013 article by Belle Beth Cooper for Fast Company, she discusses what businesses think about those with both traits. In one section, she discusses how an introvert gets energy from time alone, whereas an extrovert is able to get energy from interaction. Either way, businesses see benefits in both, however the two can make for a versatile employee. Someone who can be in more than one type of scenario. This kind of employee can tend to have more than one strong point and can be a more powerful asset to a company rather than a one dimensional figure, and this kind of employee is more sought out for.

Some people openly refer to themselves as introverted extroverts. One such person is rapper Kendrick Lamar. On 2017’s DNA off his album Damn, features the line “Antisocial, Extrovert, and excellence mean the extra work, and absence what the f--- you heard”. The idea drawn by Lamar is similar to a theme in his 2016 song “untitled 06 I 6.30.2014” in which the rapper describes both sides of him to be “equally odd” in a line sung by guest artist Ceelo Green. “Both sides of me are evenly odd, it’s attractive, you're intrigued, am I mortal man or make believe” Here Kendrick makes an argument rather than a turn off, the variant in his personality makes him all the more interesting, rather than a plain one dimensional figure. Earlier in the track Lamar says “A Gemini, duality personalities always conflict in me” this line sounds similar to a person with depression and what goes on inside their brains. Kendrick has never shied away from the topic of depression in his albums, especially in 2012’s Good Kid Maad City and 2015’s To Pimp A Butterfly. Reflecting on Kendrick's relationship with depression, this idea of conflicting ideas inside a human are normalized, and the idea of an Introverted Extrovert become more understandable.

Although it goes against popular belief, a person can demonstrate both introvert and extrovert personality traits. Whether its due to current life circumstances, mental state, or that's just how a person was born, it is not uncommon to encounter an introverted extrovert. Some don’t show it, others are open about it. Either way, it’s important to understand everyones differences and personalities, and when that is done, the world is one step closer to some sort of unity and community it longs for.

Why This Is My Best Possible 2Fer

In this 2Fer, I believe I had my strongest analysis and overall structure. I used the sources in different and unexpected ways and also dissected 2 tracks and Kendrick Lamar's overall theme in his music. I tried to order the paragraphs in such a way that the evidence for the thesis got stronger, and the final point was the dissection of an artist who fits the thesis description.

Sources: