Josh Turner Capstone

Summary of my Capstone

What I did for my capstone is I did a sculpture of a dog for animal awareness/cruelty. I first started by getting the supplies needed. After that me and my friend made the head and stuffed newspaper in it to make it sturdy, then made the ears which took a bit of time, the snout was was kind of difficult to make due to the shape of it , and the eyes were ok. It was hard, but it was not easy to do.. Next we did the body of the dog that was a little difficult. I hard to figure out what size and shape we were going to use. Then we made the legs and the tail which was easy enough. The only problem with the legs and tail was they kept breaking off easily, so we were able to find a way to stop it from breaking. The final thing we did for the capstone is that we painted the dog it was tedious to do the eyes because if you mess up, you have to redo it, next we did the glossing which was hard at all. Lastly we went to a dog walk and went to some animal shelters in the area and collected pamphlets that promotes animal awareness and prevents animal cruelty and post them around the school. So that is what I did to complete my capstone.

For my annotated bibliography I am going to show the definition of animal cruelty and animal awareness, how you can support animal awareness and how to prevent animal cruelty, some facts that you do not know about this topic.

Source: 1

HSUS. “Animal Cruelty Facts and Stats.” Animal Cruelty Facts and Stats: The Humane Society of the United States, 25 Jan. 2018, www.humanesociety.org/issues/abuse_neglect/facts/animal_cruelty_facts_statistics.html?referrer=https://www.google.com/?

This website shows many facts and info on animal cruelty. I found this to be reliable because it tells you facts about this topic in full detail. Like for example the most common animal in animal cruelty are dogs at a high 70.1 percent. It also shows organizations that hosts events that show animal cruelty. It also shows that people who abuse animals, also abuse their children and/or their spouses and that 71 percent of domestic violence victims reported that their abuser also abuses animals. Another thing is that Intentional cruelty to animals is strongly associated with other crimes, including violence against people.

Source: 2

Animal Planet. “20 Ways to Raise Awareness.” Animal Planet, 1 Oct. 2014, www.animalplanet.com/helping-pets/roar/awareness/

This website is good to use because it teaches you how to support animal awareness in many different ways. I noticed that most of the ways to support this cause is to either to host an event, rally, or a Fundraiser to help the animals to get what they need to live and survive. There are also some small things you can do support the cause becoming a mentor to show people the way to animal awareness and get them to join the cause. Another is one of the most common things to do to support awareness and it is volunteering at your local animal rescue center.

Source: 3

“PAWS - People Helping Animals.” Animal Cruelty » PAWS, 25 Jan. 2018, www.paws.org/kids/learn/animal-cruelty/.

This source is helpful because it shows what to do and what not what not to do in a case where you run in animal cruelty. Animal cruelty is when someone hurts an animal or does not care for an animal’s well-being, like not giving a dog or cat food and water. When you see animal abuse, do not intervene because not only the animal’s life will be in more danger, It will put at risk of getting hurt.  Even though it is sad, it’s the right thing to do is call someone for help and let the situation play out. Also it’s a known fact that people that abuse animals, were most likely abused in their past.

Source: 4

MSPCA. “What Is Animal Cruelty?” MSPCA-Angell, 26 Jan. 2018, www.mspca.org/cruelty-prevention/what-is-animal-cruelty/.

This website is useful because it tells you about what are different types of actions that is and turns into animal abuse/cruelty. One of the most common way to abuse an animal is: No water or food, abandon it, no shelter, and unsanitary household. Uncommon ways to abuse animals are running animal over, to give away for profit and attending a animal fight club and it does count as animal abuse if you do attend one because since your not helping a abused animal in a fight club and letting it fight. Does not matter how you put is still animal cruelty if attend these types of events.

Source: 5

Allen, Colin, and Michael Trestman. “Animal Consciousness.” Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, Stanford University, 24 Oct. 2016, plato.stanford.edu/entries/consciousness-animal/.

This source tells you the philosophy of animal awareness or in scientific terms: animal consciousness and how it became a thing in today’s society. It tells you the history of animal awareness and a in depth analysis on animal consciousness. Also it shows the structure and the evolution of animal awareness of the years. To see what has changed with it and what has not changed with animal awareness. As that went on, a called animal suffering or commonly known as animal cruelty. It shows that when there is a good thing, there is always a bad side to it.

Source: 6

“Sensitivity and Self-Awareness in Animals.” One Voice, 26 Jan. 2018, one-voice.fr/en/blog/sensitivity-and-self-awareness-in-animals.html.

This website tells you how sensitive animal is and how animal has an impact on the world. It also tells you how some people use animals as test subjects in scientific/chemistry labs. Another to mention is how we use animals for dissection projects, medical research, and cage them for fun. This is all a form of torture to an animal. Some people who this do not even notice how the animal feels. They’re another ways to find a solution other than animal testing and such, but people do this because it is more convenient for them test on animals than other things.

Source: 7

“Yes, Animals Think And Feel. Here's How We Know.” National Geographic, National Geographic Society, 15 July 2015, news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/07/150714-animal-dog-thinking-feelings-brain-science/.

For this source, it is going to be about how animals feel and how animals think. To humans we think animals only think about is food, water, shelter and sleep, but they actually think about others well-being and instinct. They know something good will happen or something bad will happen to them or others. They care about our safety as much as humans do, but to some people do not see that in animals. Some people see them as lazy animals or animals that are energetic and annoying creatures, but most of us do no think like that because we treat animals as equals.

Source: 8                                                                                                                                               Bekoff, Marc. “Do Animals Know Who They Are?” Psychology Today, Sussex Publishers, 6 July 2009, www.psychologytoday.com/blog/animal-emotions/200907/do-animals-know-who-they-are.

This is going to be about animals knowing who they are and how they they are animals. When some animals look in a reflective type of material, they either do not react to it at all or they that it is another one of their kind. Sometimes don’t you think that when animal see itself they think “Wow that’s me?” Some animals know because of their speech, appearance, animal like reflexes and such other things like that. Some animals don’t even think that they are animals. They probably think that they are humans like us, but they don’t that they are animals

Source: 9

“11 Facts About Animal Cruelty.” DoSomething.org | Volunteer for Social Change, TMI, 26 Jan. 2018, www.dosomething.org/us/facts/11-facts-about-animal-cruelty.

This source is going to be about facts about animal abuse that people did not know. One fact is that there has been an estimated 900 to 2,000 new cases every year of animal hoarding in the US, with 250,000 animals falling victim. Another fact is over 115 million animals like  mice, rats, dogs, cats, rabbits, monkeys, birds, among others, are killed in laboratory experiments worldwide for chemical, drug, food, and cosmetics testing every year. Final fact is more than 50% the fur in the US comes from China, where millions of dogs and cats are often bled to death and skinned alive for their fur. Chinese fur is often mislabeled, so if you wear any fur, there’s no sure way of knowing whose skin you’re in.

Source 10

This source is going to be about fun facts and the dos and don’ts of animals. One fact is If an animal changes its behavior, you are too close which means either they are scared of you or they feel threatened by you. The World Animal Awareness Society has campaign specific goals as well as organizational goals. The organization has multiple locations in the United States that you can join. It tells what the situation is in that area and how you can support animal awareness in different states. People do not know about this because is it not that well known.

20180509_182307
20180509_182307
20180509_182407
20180509_182407
20180509_182522
20180509_182522
20180509_182553
20180509_182553