Journal Entry: Give Me An Orange

October 13, 2023

I have this love, hate relationship with the term summer. Summer is the season where you are freed from school. The school doors opened to what I thought was an escape from grinding all those homeworks and tests. When I think of summer, I think about relaxing on my lovely bed— just sitting there doing nothing what-so-ever. I mean, it’s called summer break for a reason, am I right? I could lay in bed and scroll through my phone all day, if it wasn’t for the nagging of my parents, telling me to get my act together. But what I realized was, the more relaxed I was during the summer, the more work I would have to make you later on in the future. Back in middle school, I used to be assigned summer homework. It was a thick package of English and mathematics problems. I remember how I would end up taking the answers given in the back of the package, not even attempting any questions. Here I am now, a high school student who lacks knowledge and test taking skills. Just like the oranges that’s constantly being referred to by Offers—taking the small things in life for granted. The existence of the “orange” became a norm that we tend to think things were always meant to be the way they are. When that norm is gone, we think back and regret how we didn’t cherish the things we took for granted.

In chapter 5 we were first introduced to Offred’s impression on oranges after it wasn’t a privilege anymore: “It will be something, a small achievement, to have made oranges happen.” (pg 25) Ever since Central America lost the war oranges have just been hard to get. I would assume Offred to have something like, “Seize your chance! These oranges are here right in front of you. Take them!” in the back of her mind. Of course, the circumstances have changed. “But I haven’t bought any coupons for oranges.” (pg 25) Even before that, Offred needs to have access to the token that allows her to go outside. Tokens and coupons are what’s keeping her from getting the oranges. Referring back to me, procrastination and lack of motivation is like the token and coupons that prevent Offred from getting the oranges, they’re keeping me from utilizing summer as a chance to grow. As Offred’s story continues to unravel, the term “orange” would be a constant repetition in the book. This term also shows up mostly either when she rambles about her past or when she’s lost in her own thoughts. Not only did she use the phrase orange as a fruit but she also had descriptions of orange juice. In chapter 25, Cora spills the drink because she saw Offred on the floor, her head half way in the cabinet. At first I thought she was worried about Offred thinking she might have been in an accident, but later on says that she thought it was just her clothes and that Offred ran away. The spilled orange juice symbolizes how taken aback Cora was in that moment. She felt betrayal but most of all, disappointed thinking Offred might have left her by herself. The fact that Offred would have a chance to escape just like Moira and didn’t tag her along seems to her was unbearable. Cora later ended with “but it was you” with a sense of relief.

Once you miss the opportunity, will you ever be able to get another one? “To the left, the double doors to the dining room are folded back, and inside I can see the long table, covered with a white cloth and spread with a buffet: ham, cheese, orange— they have oranges!” (pg 116) Being met upon an opportunity, I was introduced to many people and courses that have helped me grow as a scholar. Missing the opportunity to utilize summer as a chance to explore various potentials came more opportunities throughout the school year. Although it is a bit rushed, it’s better late than never! I will squeeze every drop of juice that orange has to offer. At the very least, I don’t want to make regrettable choices of never trying. Just like how Offred would grab an orange or two every time she gets the opportunity to. Give me an orange— give me a chance.