Language Auto _ Massey-Campbell

Jasir Massey-Campbell

Language Autobiography

“What is language?” This question may seem incomplex, but it is all but simple. The common person when asked this question would most likely answer that language is “the way people communicate” or “language is the words you say to divulge your thoughts to someone.” Although this is true, I do not simply see language as being simple. Language is displayed as being something compounded of simple characteristics, but under the basic basis of what language is, language is more complicated than being just the way we communicate.

There are an approximated 6800 different types of languages different groups of people speak in the world. Yes, there are the different human classified languages like English, German and Spanish. But there are sub-languages.  There are of as many sub-languages as there are people. Many will define language as the way you speak, or what you speak or how you communicate with others. So if this is true, does anyone communicate the same? Do any of us speak the same way? I believe we are all unique in the way we speak. If we spoke the same way, if we had the same vocabulary, we would not be able to distinct ourselves verbally. A verbal conversation is simply blind communication. Although it is everything but simple. If we all communicated using the same language it would be like talking to ourselves in a full body-mirror. We all have something that makes our voice unique, whether it be the tone in which we speak, how deep our voice is, if we speak straight or if we sometimes sta-sta-stutter when we speak.

At Germantown Friends School you were instantly judged and classified by the way you presented yourself through your appearance, the way you dress and the way you speak. Once you were judged you were put in a social class. These social classes most times excluded African Americans although not putting them at the bottom of the social hierarchy. African Americans were expected to speak in slang, to have a lazy tongue and to be stupid.  Although this was the ideal, it was in a way admired by the majority and African Americans to speak a language they do not necessarily speak. Many of my black friends spoke street slang to impress, and also because it felt expected in that community. A caucasian girl, who all of the boys eyed. Many would do anything to go with her. An advantage that we had was that she had a huge adoration for the “black male” who lived the street life. This was one of the reasons many of them would act the way they did. I did not allow myself to fall into the pre-labeling stereotypes of the black male. My time at GFS did not allow me to feel that I could truly express or speak in a way that was natural. I found myself not trying to fall into the black male stereotypes around the caucasian students, and when I was around my black friends I would speak more slang to be accepted.  A rapper that I listen to had a verse that I believe describe my situation nicely. Thebe Neruda Kgositsile aka Earl Sweatshirt said in his song Chum “Too Black for the White kids and too White for the Blacks.” Earl was describing to us how his behavior was never completely acceptable for the white or black kids that he knew. Earl as well as I felt like outcast. We never truly fit in with regular crowds. I never had a group of friends that I would regularly hang out with. I was either tired of speaking in slang or tired of trying to impress a group of people that I didn’t need to.

When I am home, I begin to speak what I call my third language, also known as the language that I use to speak to my parents. When I talk to my parents I am allowed to have fun conversations with them, and my leniency with my speech is far from strict. Our relationship is casual enough for me to say “Hey mom!” but not in a sense that I still have to make sure I don’t say words such as “Chill”, “Stop drawlin”, “Ard”, “What’s up” and things of that nature. I am still obligated and expected to show a high level of respect with maturity when speaking to them. I know that I cannot use the same words (slang) that I would use when talking to a friend to talk to my mother or father. In my family many of them do not have children or do not have children my age so to the rest of my family I am expected to speak with the same respect I give my parents. All but a few cousins who are around my age am I able to feel comfortable speaking to them the way I desire.
SLA is composed of many different ethnicities who are apart of different social backgrounds. Because SLA is in the middle of the city, it attracts people from all parts of Philadelphia. Transferring to Science Leadership Academy (SLA) really helped me find who I was. I feel like for once in my life I am able to talk the way that feels comfortable and natural. The awkwardness of trying to be accepted or feel wanted has diminished; instead I feel accepted and I feel wanted. This is now more of a certainty than a possibility.  The people who are apart of the SLA community understand that there are many types of people in the world and that with those people come many different languages. I find the people here to not judge as much as the people did at GFS.There is not much to say about the dissimilarities  other than that the differences between the way I talked to teachers at GFS are different than the way I talk to teachers here at SLA. Because GFS was a quaker school they did not require you to announce them by their last name or with a title (i.e. Mr. Ms. Mrs.) Here at SLA it is required to either call a teacher by his/her last name or with the title Mr., Mrs. or Ms.
My aim is to inform the readers that everyone is different, so never judge someone for something that makes them feel a way that is comfortable.