Libby, Montana Asbestos

a. What went well? 
-Coming up with the the idea for the info graphic was the easiest. I came up with the idea to use the iCal photo and the pictograms.

b. What did not? 
-Figuring out which data to use and what was important was difficult as well as sourcing it. We found the population one day and then couldn't find an accurate source the next.

c. What would you do differently next time? 

-I would use some more data to paint the picture of what happened. I mean the numbers are there but not enough to evoke an appropriate emotion.

d. Specifically comment on the 10 tips for effective infographics -

Be Concise- it is concise with very few words

Be Visual- the whole thing is visual using picture to show numbers

Be Smarter- not sure about it this one

Be Transparent- the data is there and easy to understand

Be Different- we used the ical calendar as a clever way to show about W.R. Grace cleaning up

Be Accurate- the data is mostly from the EPA

Be Attractive- it's colorful

Be Varied- we sort of vary, using pictograms and a pie chart

Be Gracious- not sure about this one, I guess we didn't do it?

Be Creative- we utilized different methods using the pictograms

Why do you think some elements of design were easier or harder to include in the end product? 

It was easy to just use data but it's hard to paint the picture with few words. I am a wordy person and that was a challenge for me. 

Malik Tlili (Student 2013)
Malik Tlili

I believe the use of diagrams is creative. The houses and the little people gave me a good idea of how many people were effected by the Asbestos contmaniation and how many were lethal. I also appreciate the idea of showing an approximate number of house hold residents being effect. I couldnt find enough information to make a diagram for this so i was interested to see yours. When researching this topic there were various sources providing different data. The majority had 200 deaths with 1,000 illnesses but this is not accurate due to the long periods of contamination taking place. This is probably the cause of you proportionally increasing these numbers. (the one person is equivalent to 500 people). I have gotten a much smaller number therefore i used tally marks to make the number visually seem larger than it is. Regarding our topic it was difficult to use diagrams due to the troubleshooting of finding exact numbers to represent our data. Other than this i believe this infographic is a well done mirror of my groups product.