Living with Fads

Jada Terrell (Student 2016)
Jada Terrell
  1. The social system. You did this by emphasizing on fads, something we all can relate to.
  2. Yes because not all fads become normal. It's a cycle of what's old is new. (Brittany)
  • I really like how you said "Once its normal, it becomes less interesting." because it's true with fads.
Nicholas Lepera (Student 2016)
Nicholas Lepera

You did a good job at pointing out the social acceptance and societal problems that form a system. People live out their days boringly, with different dramas for each day and at the end of it they come home to watch TV or a movie to help them escape their reality. They try to relate to the characters and in movies like Twilight there will be fan-fictions and such written by people to try and bring themselves closer to this show or movie that helps them leave their worries behind.

I've already understood that this is very prevalent in the society of today although I didn't entirely know how the Jersey Shore fad actually happened. I remember in middle school I had classmates who decided they'd all call themselves one of the characters from the show. It was awkward and certainly dumb, but after seeing this I can't help but wonder why they did it and why they chose whichever character they did.

Nicholas Lepera (Student 2016)
Nicholas Lepera

I very much liked the Q&A interviews and the in-depth explanations as to why these fads had such an impact on the people of this time, but not the people of the future, or the people of the past. Rafi has it down pretty well because nothing sums it up any better than "it's a product of it's time".