Looking Back

About a year ago, I was filling out a million applications a day, trying to get a job.  I didn't care who hired me; I was just desperate for something.

While working in the lit lab one afternoon, I got a call from Sue, the assistant store director at Acme.  She told me that she reviewed my online application and would like to schedule an interview.  I was ecstatic.

A week later, I met with the store director of the Andorra Acme.  Right from the start, I knew that Joe liked me after we started talking about music and Paramore.  He told me that I was just the person he was looking for and hired me right then and there.

Once I began working, I made sure to put in 100% of my effort every single day.  I followed the "GOT" values, which are the essential customer satisfaction rules: Greet, Offer, and Thank anyone who walks into the store.  I was praised many times for my wonderful service.

Yesterday I had a meeting with Sue to discuss the changes that Supervalu and Acme had in store for the upcoming months.

Then she told me that the company, not her and Joe, had decided to lay me off.

I took the paper she handed me that basically said my hire date and official end date of May 7th.

I ran to the bathroom and fell apart.  How could this happen?  I worked so hard to do my best and to make every Acme customer feel welcome.  I exceeded expectations as an Acme associate and planned on staying with that company for a long time.

As I was leaving, Sue said "Trust me.  You're one of the ones I want to keep." 

I found out that Mike Rice, another grocery employee, was also laid off.  He and I have been friends since I began working there.  Although he acted like he wasn't as upset as me, I could tell he was hurting just as bad.

I have made so many great friends working at Acme.  The joking and playing around made the work experience extremely fun. There were times when I actually wanted to go to work early  because I knew that I would have such a great time working alongside those particular people.  My job became enjoyable, which is ideal for anyone who has to work such long shifts like I did.

I have come to realize that although I am devastated at Acme's decision, I have gained so much experience working there.  I now have the ability to take that experience and reference and use it to find another job in the future.

With that said, I am starting my McDonald's job next weekend.  It just so happens that McDonald's is in the same shopping center as Acme.  Guess who is going to be visiting Acme every so often?

:p