Looking Deeper Into Industries Harming Animals

Hello, my name is Nasya Ie. I am currently a freshmen at Science Leadership Academy. In my English class, we have a project called You & The World and in this project we get to choose a topic that interests us. For this project, I chose Industries Harming Animals. This topic matters to me dearly because I want to be a veterinarian and to be a vet you have to have passions animals to do your job. I want the world to know how animals are suffering because of companies are taking skin, fur, leather, wool, silk and more! Even pet stores that are selling animals are treating them like nothing.

All around the world people are keeping animals in captivity, they leave the animal in horrible environment and conditions. They leave them in small cramped spaces with no food or water, they get diseases without any vets to help them. Animals are getting diseases because they are in an environment that will make them unhealthy. These industries will harm them, not care for them, and treat them like they are nothing. They harm these animals, they can feel pain like we do. I want to open people's eyes that this is happening, that this need to stop this. Not a lot of people know what the history of the fur they are wearing, how the animal were treated to get the fur. Also, you shouldn’t always trust your pet store because they are not innocent, they are doing bad thing and still doing it now.

Petco is an industry that provides supplies for pets and sells pets. Little did you know, Pecto will put animals in cramped spaces and bad conditions. “The death toll was so high at the store I worked at that part of the closing procedure every day was to take out the dead ‘feeder fish’ who had been sucked into a filter, wrap them in a plastic bag, and place them in the ‘dead’ freezer, along with dead rats, mice, hamsters, birds, and other casualties.” If they see animals that are hurt or unhealthy, they will leave them to die, no vets to help the animals. Petco is not the only one that treats their animals like this many more, Petsmart, Pet Supplies Plus and many stores will keep animals in these conditions.

Clothing companies like Abercrombie and fitch, Guess, H&M, etc. most likely have fur factory farms, keep small animals like, foxes, bunnies, ferrets, raccoons, cats, big cats, birds, and more. “Each mink skinned by fur farmers produces about 44 pounds of feces in his or her lifetime.” Keeping them in captive then skinning them alive which is so gruesome, having no care for the animals and environment. But why would they skin animals? Because it is all “natural.” After they are skinned, they then will put it in chemicals so it won’t rot. There is a whole process to do this so people can wear their skin/ fur. This is crazy because not a lot of people know that animals had to have a gruesome death to have that fur coat, pom pom, leather, feathers. I want more people to see that fur, leather, feather is that representation of their death, their death being shown off on stores, on people. So, that people will be more careful on what they buy.

furfarms
furfarms

Image- One Person, One World

This is similar to puppy mills. Puppy mills are secret pet trade industries. They will have no concern for the animals, put them in cramped filthy cages, plus no proper care from vets. Puppy mills cages are usually wood and wired cages or they will chain then up outside in any type of weather. Puppy mills over breed and because of that they will have disorders. Since they over breed they will abandon dogs and cats, making them leave up in shelters.
HSUSAnimalShelterPercentages2014
HSUSAnimalShelterPercentages2014

Here is a map showing the percentage spending money on shelters.

All lot of industries are similar with harming animals. By doing this is making our ecosystem have more problems. I know it is going to be a great deal of effort to stop industries harming animals, but I think we can make these industries less greedy. For more information click here for my bibliography.

Amira Gouri (Student 2020)
Amira Gouri

This is great topic! I never really noticed about how animals were suffering till I read this blog. You included really good information that helped me understand more about the topic. I wish there was a way to prevent these companies from killing the animals. :( What would you do to help this situation?

Ruby Ginsburg (Student 2020)
Ruby Ginsburg

Nasya, this is so engaging and sad and terrible at the same time! I like that you made your topic connect to your future aspirations of being a vet. Also, the way you talk about fur, etc. makes me think about any animal products that I have or have had and it makes me feel so bad. I did not know about fur farms and I want to know how I can help!

Benjamin Rivera (Student 2020)
Benjamin Rivera

Solid introduction to the project. I can see you have a great passion for animals. It's sad to see what animals go through but it needs to be noticed. Do you think that there may be some other reasons why animals might be put into these industries? Is it the previous family, what were the conditions at the pets last home?

Sarah Son (Student 2020)
Sarah Son

Nasya, I really love your post! It is so interesting. We have similar topics and it was great to talk to you about it. This is a topic that should be mentioned more often. GOOD JOB NASYAAAA!