Lord Of The Flies Essay - Ethan Chen

Ethan Chen

Ms. Pahomov

English 2

21 March 2019

What happens when you put two leaders with different ideologies in the same environment?

Imagine you are on an island trapped with a group of people and you have to rebuild a society on but you have two potential leaders fighting over different concepts of how to run this island. Well, in William Golding’s, Lord of the Flies, a group of boys survive a plane crash and they have to rebuild and recreate a society on a deserted island with no adult authority. As the book goes on, their society progressively turns from civilized to chaotic which ends in an all-out war for power between Jack and Ralph. The reader can see real-world examples from history where two leaders with totally different opinions rise up to power causing tension and resulting in an outbreak of violence.    

North Korea and South Korea is a famous example of this. Both are well known for one of their most militarized and protected borders in the world. What once was a unified Korea living as one, whole country, fell into the split of North and South Korea. The Japanese had all control over Korea when they invaded in 1910, oppressing them and destroying their culture until the Japanese finally surrender during WW2. The Soviets started to take over Korea as well as the US had to make sure they did not take all of Korea. This was the chance for Korea to rebuild under a new government in which two people came into power, Kim II Sung and Syngman Rhee. The problem was, they had different ideas of how to run the country. In the article “Why North Korea and South Korea Are Separated” by Prableen Bajpai, she wrote about how the rise in power for the two leaders caused conflict as their political ideology differed about how to run the new era of Korea. Sung wanted a communist government while Rhee wanted a capitalist one. They both wanted to reunite Korea as a whole but the fight over which political idea is still being battelled out. This means that although the two emerging leaders wanted to agree on the objective to unite Korea as one nation again and rebuild their society after the Japanese conflict, they both had completely different views about how the government should be administered. This opposition created a lack of trust in each and the tensions between the two groups. Primarily, without an agreement from both parties of what to do, pressures from both sides can rise quickly which will ultimately lead to a call of action. Similar to the boys in Lord of the Flies, Ralph’s plans are challenged by Jack’s plans about what priorities should be set for their time on the island.   

In the early days of the island, there were already disagreements of what their intentions on the island should be. Jack and Ralph had already started to have a controversy about their differences in ideas of how the island should be governed and what is essential to their survival. In this scene, Jack came back after he failed to catch a pig as Ralph and Simon were trying to assemble living quarters for the boys to live in. Ralph got frustrated in their progress on the shelters. “’I was talking about smoke! Don’t you want to be rescued? All you can talk about is pig, pig, pig!’ ‘But we want meat!’ ‘And I work all day with nothing but Simon and you come back and don’t even notice the huts’” (54). In this tense interaction, Ralph is arguing with Jack about how building shelters and creating a fire is essential to their goal of surviving. On the other hand, Jack thinks that hunting is more important as they need food to avoid starvation. This shows how two people who are rising to power can cause conflict as they believe in completely different methods of how the island should be run and what they should prioritize for their survival. Even though they are in the same environment going through the same situation, there would always be a disagreement of what to achieve and to accomplish. It caused tension between Ralph and Jack’s relationship with each other which in turn caused the lack of effectivity on the island and issues later down the line, which will resulted in a split between the group.  

With the disagreement of who should run Korea (more like communism vs. capitalism,) the USSR and the USA relationship barely holding on, the communist North decided to attack the whole Korean peninsula. In “Korea: A History Of The North-South Split” by Tim Marshall, the Foreign Affairs Editor wrote that “In 1950 the North launched a surprise attack across the 38th parallel and quickly took most of the South. The United Nations then backed what it called a "police action" to repulse the advance and the Korean War, which would last for three years, had begun.” This shows how the situation could escalate when two completely different ideologies are put down on the table. This real-life connection happens to take a violent path with an unexpected attack to dominate the other side. With the method of violence, it supports the one leader display dominance to the people and dominates the other party. This also gives the party leverage of power over the everyday people they are leading. Similar to Lord of the Flies, Jack’s tribe decided to attack Ralph’s tribe so they could obtain the power of the fire which in this case, the fire is the essential thing that keeps both parties at power.

After Jack left Ralph’s tribe, he established a new group which was made up of mostly the biguns who left Ralph as they believed in Jack’s ideas. They both ran alongside one another separately for a while until Jack planned an ambush against Ralph. His tribe needed a way to roast the pig so they decided it was best to steal Piggy’s glasses from Ralph’s tribe. Knowing that the glasses means fire and fire is the symbol of power, they wanted to fight to get it. As night fell, things started to unravel. Jack tribe ambushed Ralph’s group and invaded their sheatler. “He was torn and jolted, found fingers in his mouth and bit them. A fist withdrew and came back like a piston so that the whole shelter exploded…’ That was Jack and his hunters’ said Ralph bitterly.’Why can’t they leave us alone?’” (167). This section from the text shows how an outbreak of violence finally occurs between the two rivals with completely different ideas of how to run the island. With two separate groups on the island who highly oppose each other, there will always be conflict between the two groups in order to dominate the other side and belittle them. With two leaders who have very distinct ideas from one other, there was bound to be an outbreak or clash between the two parties.

By connecting Lord of the Flies to the real-life event of the split of North and South Korea, it is seen how two individuals with highly opposing ideas interact and lead a group of people in the same circumstances. With two rising leaders with two different beliefs and no solid agreement from both sides, there would definitely be a split between the group of people supporting the leaders that their ideas line up with, causing very high tension between the two parties which could ultimately lead into conflict like violence. When you place two leaders with different beliefs and standards, there would be immediate dispute between the two groups that could lead to serious difficulty later on.  

Work Cited

Bajpai, Prableen. “Why North Korea and South Korea Are Separated.” Investopedia  

Investopedia, 12 Mar. 2019, www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/040515/why-north-korea-south-korea-are-separated.asp.

Golding, William. Lord of the Flies. Penguin Books, 2006

Marshal, Tim. “Korea: A History Of The North-South Split.” Sky News,

https://news.sky.com/story/korea-a-history-of-the-north-south-split-10449691

Szczepanski, Kallie. “How Korea Split Into North Korea and South Korea.” ThoughtCo,

ThoughtCo, 19 Sept. 2018, www.thoughtco.com/why-north-korea-and-south-korea-195632.