Madison Harris Capstone

For my Capstone, I wanted to find a way to have an outside event for students to interact and have fun with, but also raise money for the SLA Girls Basketball Team to put money towards them getting new apparel. I believe that this will make the team confident and bring unity to their apparel. I came up with the idea of running a basketball tournament and raise money by charging students from the school to play.

The final decision I made to do for my Capstone was to have my basketball tournament at Taney on April 30th, 2018. I did not charge students to play, but leading up to the tournament I ran a bake sale to draw attention for students to buy items, but I also had a sign up for the tournament at the bake sale. This raised money, but I also had a sense of what students were going to play. I advertised the tournament often on social media which had to word spread fast.

The day of the tournament I prepared by having a speaker so people watching would be entertained as long as the players. I wanted the tournament to be chill and for the students to have fun so it was very light on the rules, but it was on a time constraint so everything could flow and I did not run into the games being too long or short.

I believe that the tournament was fun for the students because it was just a day to have fun with peers outside of school. One piece I wish I could have done better was not overwhelming myself at once, but do one thing at a time in a spaced out amount of time. I am happy that I have completed my Capstone it has taught me so much about to overcome challenges and yet still benefits others.

This is a collage of the day of my tournament along with one of the flyers I created. I had three games. Freshman vs. Sophomores and winner faces the Upperclassmen. The Sophomores are Winners. Congrats Class of 2020!!

Annotated Bibliography

Running a Tournament & Playing High School Event

“How To... Organize a Basketball Tournament.” Basketball Manitoba, 2018, 22 Jan. 2018 <www.basketballmanitoba.ca/2006/07/how-to-organize-basketball-tournament.html.>

I found this website/blog helpful for my capstone because it is talks specifically about how to organize a basketball tournament and making sure to be on top of the planning without leaving anything out and just having a flawless event per say. This is important for me and to have a successful capstone because it helps me have an idea/ plan of making sure I have everything and stay on track with my capstone without having spaces between the process and being upfront with the plan. The successful for the tournament will be having a plan prior to the big day. By following the checklist and the tips will help be a reference from start to finish from my capstone.  

McGroarty, Kent Page. “Benefits of Teamwork in Sports.” Healthy Living, EDGE Publications , 22 Jan. 2018. <https://healthyliving.azcentral.com/benefits-teamwork-sports-1119.html .>  

I researched the importance of sports and the importance it brings to teamwork and having the ability to work with others. This ties into my capstone because there has to be teamwork and collaboration in order for this tournament to be exciting and bring enjoyment to the players. It also teaches a life lesson of showing how if you are trying to get anywhere in life collaboration and understanding others is important to become successful in life. It also helps with the interactions between others and understanding everyone’s strengths and weaknesses and how it will  make the team successful and fun.

Frei, Terry. March 1939: before the Madness: the Story of the First NCAA Basketball Tournament Champions. Lyons Press, 2016. 23 Jan. 2018

This book is about how a team prepared before the March Madness tournament and the bonding they had before the big day. This made me think about how my teams may prepare before they enter the tournament. I wonder how the teams will prepare and how this will make the tournament engaging and entertaining for the players. I know that the collaboration will be successful and I hope their preparation is a well because that is what makes any team successful and the importance of it. It is better than teams who just comes out there without having any chemistry and limited collaboration.

“The Complete Event Planning Guide.” Membership Software - Wild Apricot, 23 Jan. 2018. <www.wildapricot.com/articles/how-to-plan-an-event.>  

Talks about the major qualities of event planning and how it will make your event successful. Without a plan there is no event. It only cause confusion, chaos, and stress to make an event work at the last minute. That would also produce a crappy event that looks rushed and unorganized. Others will notice this to and it create confusion and chaos with the crowd. Planning ahead can make anyone successful and on top of the game no matter what.  Since I know I am not an event planner this website gave me the instructions of what to do to be successful along with my event.

Long, Kimberly. “4 Ways to Get Students Interested in Extracurricular Clubs.” Education Week Teacher, Editorial Projects in Education, 29 Apr. 2016, 24 Jan. 2018. <www.edweek.org/tm/articles/2015/02/17/4-ways-to-get-students-interested-in.html.>

Because I want my tournament to be engaging and having the SLA community involved, this website touches on how extracurricular and events are important in schools because it can build on having new school traditions, leadership within different students, and how it defines the student body. It shows me how important it is for SLA to keep thriving and make school fun outside of school per say. This helped me identify my purpose for my capstone to make sure that it is strong enough and hopefully involving a great amount of the student body. Also involving the core values that pertain to the project and the even within itself.

Elizabeth Mulvahill on August 24, 2016 .contest-social .share-links svg, .share-links svg { top: 50%; left: 0px; } #atftbx p:first-of-type { display: none; } .entry-content .addthis_toolbox, .entry-. “50 Tips, Tricks, and Ideas for Building School Spirit.” WeAreTeachers, 4 July 2017, 24 Jan. 2018. <www.weareteachers.com/50-surefire-ways-to-build-school-spirit/.>

This website explained how to keep School Spirit going and the ideas to do so. This produces excitement and engagement from the student body along with something for them to look forward to. School can be seen as boring or routined to different students, but bringing something new to the environment which causes them to research and explore what it is about. School spirit is very important because it causes hype around the school and how to explore outside of school but pertaining to the school. Everything needs something new once and a while and bringing the spirit to school will change the view of basic and casual understanding but newness and excitement.

Meier, Kelly. “How to Prepare to Be an Event Planner in High School.” How to Prepare to Be an Event Planner in High School | Education - Seattle PI, Hearst Seattle Media , 25 Jan. 2018. <http://education.seattlepi.com/prepare-event-planner-high-school-2863.html .>

Since I am in High School and I don’t plan events , this blog has helped me understand how to do so on my level. Being an event planner you have to have great communication skills with talking on the phone and with having interactions with others.Having great communication skills show your professionalism and confidence in what you are trying to portray and the importance of it. Being involved in clubs and sports is a way that event planner can be exposed because it shows how your involvement is there. It shows that being involved in one area can help you to create your own by seeing the positives and negatives in another.

Smeds, Mia. “School Events Are Important for Community Spirit.” Justice Through Education, 12 Sept. 2016, 25 Jan. 2018.< www.justed.org/school-events-are-important-for-community-spirit/.>

This talks about the importance of school events and how they reflect upon the school. It shows that having school events makes the school unified between all grades along with teachers and students. The community spirit is something that is stress relievers for kids so everything is not all about work projects, etc, but we can have fun and still within the school environment. It also shows how the school works together and brings collaboration within each and every aspect of the school and how everything is connected into one system and the everyone's goal is the same with bringing engagement to the school body.

Glick , Sarah. “Success Stories: Brilliant Event Planning.” I Do PR, Jan. 2014, 26 Jan. 2018.

<www.idopr.com/wedding/success-stories-brilliant-event-planning/ .>

This helped me understand what makes an event successful and reading the different stories. They all had in common that they prepared before the event which was important. It also made me realize that everyone is not perfect so there is always going to be a flaw in the event ,but finding ways to overcome it is the way because those flaws can be unseen and no one would even know. Events can be successful or completely off and it is all about how much time and effort you put into the event is what will be produced and seen by others.

Carlton, Duane. “Divided by Diversity Documentary.” YouTube, Vermont PBS, 4 July 2016, 26 Jan. 2018. <www.youtu.be/fqGRZ7KrbSI .>

The documentary was about how basketball use to be divided based upon race and not talent. This made me wonder what can I question about my own project and establishing my main purpose for the project. What is the cause of having the game? How will shift the players mind on what their goal is and the importance of having teamwork and collaboration while playing. I want everyone to have fun, but take something from and apply a life lesson to it because we do everything for a purpose and not just because. Everything has a meaning and worth recognition of fighting for if it is worth it.