Matt Ferry - Immigration Visualization Project

rfhjcfgdjthfbghjrshgnr
rfhjcfgdjthfbghjrshgnr
  • What surprised you most about this information?  What seemed quite obvious about explaining this data set?

What surprised me most about the information was the laws created against Chinese immigrants and many other immigrants, locking down how many of them are allowed to come into our country. 

• Looking at the overall trend and incorporating what you know about the US presently, predict and defend the immigration trend for the next two decades.

I think immigration will go down, seeing the current situation our economy and government is in. It's very discouraging to come to a country where we're on the verge of an economic crisis, if we aren't already in one. My prediction is that we'll slowly begin to get less immigrants in the next two decades. 

• Describe how you made a decision on how to visually represent the information.

Originally, we were going to create ours in a Keynote, but that didn't work. Cheyenne suggested using smiley faces and frown faces, which me and Justin though were just silly, but then we gave it a shot and we're proud with our final results. It's a set of smiley and frowny faces, the smiley faces show a year where immigration increased, while the frowny faces show went it decreased. 

• What parts of group work were challenging?

Just helping Cheyenne out, because neither I nor Justin are at all experienced with using Photoshop. 

• What would you do differently if you had this project to do over?

I'd probably want to do something like a video. I think I'd have a lot of fun making a video.