Matthew Ginnetti Capstone

For my capstone I decided to educate the underclassmen in the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) field of astronomy. I have been apart of the Franklin’s Project S.P.A.C.E. (Scholastic Program for Astronomy and Celestial Events) team for about one year now and this project was sole centered around my involvement in the program. This was a joint capstone with students Allen Yang, and Winston Wright. Within Project S.P.A.C.E. each of us held a specific role with specific responsibilities where each of us specialized in a specific field of astronomy which we taught under class men about. Within Project S.P.A.C.E. we led mini courses where over the course of six weeks each of us instructed two different classes for about ninety minutes each. Derrick Pitts, the Cheif astronomer of the Franklin, along with other Joel L. Bloom observatory staff at the franklin mentored this project. The lack of astronomy interest and education within the United States education system is primarily why I chose to this project. Increasing the interest of astronomy to high school and middle school is one of the sole purposes of Project SPACE. Along with teaching a mini course, I also spent the year creating a prototype application for the the Franklin which educated users about the International Space Station. Below both the lesson plan and the prototype app are attached along with some photos of the class.

Click here to see application
Click here to see process paper
The Mini-course 

Bibliography

--Kennedy, John. "Moon Speech." Rice University, 12 September 1962. Speech.

John F. Kennedy's moon speech at Rice College clearly shows his indepth persuasive attitude as he pushes for travel to the moon and for the development of the F-1 engines. The speech dynamically explains the benefits of NASA and what they are doing. I connect this to how the government hid NASA’s actual reason of creation. In his speech, JFK talks about the job creation and about how mankind wishes to stretch itself. NASA’s actual mission was to create a rocket powerful enough to carry the United States’ nuclear weapons.

--Dryden, Hugh. United States. Special committee on Space Technology. Special Committee on Space Technology Report. 1958. Print.

Dryden explains NASA’s actual intentions of the space race. He goes on to speak about how rockets were beneficial to both the military and scientists and how scientific instruments could be replaced with weapons.

--Benwl, , prod. JFK - We choose to go to the Moon. Youtube, 2008. Filmstrip. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouRbkBAOGEw>.

This primary resource video was used to show the viewer and help them visualize what the narrator was talking about. This specific footage was taken of John F. Kennedys famous “We choose the moon” speech at Rice University.

--CEVOrion , , prod. Saturn V - S-1C Stage Testing. Youtube, 2007. Filmstrip. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3sVuFjJlp4>.

This primary resource video was used to show the viewer and help them visualize what the narrator was talking about. This specific clip showed the static testing of the F-1 liquid fuel Engine.

--Howard, Ron, dir. Apollo 13. Universal Pictures, 1995. Film. <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgHYGw9OL7c>.

The footage I used consisted of the launch sequence of the saturn V rocket. The footage is completely computer generated but I feel it gives the most realistic experience to what the launch was like in High definition. In the Documentary I morphed together apollo 13 footage with actual footage of the launch, giving the viewers an interesting experience.